classic rock

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Nov 28, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i just started liking classic rock again...pre-1990 stuff

led zepplin
    heart
    beach boys
    temptations
    deep purple
    doors
    early michael jackson solo stuff
    eagles
    blondie
    early metallica
    depeche mode
    etc...

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

you shouuld talk to my dad. He is absolutely obsessed w/ classic
    rock. i peersonally am deeply annoyed by it. I've been forced to
    listen to it since I was a child... My dad LOVES Led Zepplin.

3. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Re: classic rock

You forgot Alice Cooper!!! ;) :D

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

Yesterday I was watching Super Mario Brothers the Movie, and the ending song was Almost Unreal by Roxette. That song has quite a catchy beat.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I can just imagine what my kids will think about the music I like to listen to - not much of a classic rock guy myself, but occassionally a Stones song will do - Depeche Mode is NOT classic rock - if anything its alternative classic rock - XMRadio has a whole channel devoted to Alternative Classic Rock that I listen to all the time - Channel 44 - Fred.

D

6. iGav macrumors G3

R.E.M.
    The Beach Boys
    The Bangles
    Fleetwood mac
    Thin Lizzy
    The Animals
    The Patti Smith Group
    The Eagles

Amd I'm sure there's many more...... but the pub is calling and as such I must make the effort to go and enjoy a few slinkys!!! ;)

7. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

i LOVE classic rock :D, even tho im 17....
    gotta love classic rock :D
    April Wine
    CCR
    Wings
    AC/DC
    Rolling Stones
    Bachman-Turner Overdrive
    The Eagles
    Trooper....so have a good time, the sun dont shine every day :p
    Steve Miller Band
    Doobie Bros
    Bob Seger
    Bob Dylan
    The Band/Robbie Robertson
    The Guess Who
    The Who
    Neil Young/Crosby Stills Nash & Young/Buffalo Springfield
    Tom Petty & the heartbreakers
    Bruce Springsteen
    The Doors
    Led Zeppelin
    some Pearl Jam
    early U2
    and much more :D
    i'm a huge fan of "Canadian Rock"...basically the local bands...which some of them are world renoun for creating some of the most famous songs in canadian history...

8. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

back when lenny kravitz's cover song "american woman" was hitting #1 up here in canada, it was reviving the classic rock genre for canadian teens, so many teens started listening to classic rock just cuz of that song (including me)
    but bout 90% of the teens here listen to cRAP music or pop now days :(...theres no talent in today's music...

9. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

the latest era music the local FM 92-rock station (devoted to classic rock) plays is seattle era grunge from the early and mid 90s...no nu metal or metallica beyond the black album

but one day i heard creed and was blown away...besides nirvana, creed is the best grunge band ever imho

i have to admit, i like avril and the donnas, and some of the current crooners are also pretty good musicians

10. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Don't forget Rush, and Triumph. Hmmm. Would Twisted Sister be considered classic? Or just a good anthem band?

11. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

definitely classic...they are nearly, or maybe twenty years old

dee snider, the singer, must be at least forty years old by now

and since the 90s, we are actually seeing rock stars hit that magic 55 and older denny's senior citizen age

and if any of the stones die now, it can't be blamed on youthful indiscretions, but simple old age...former stones bassist bill wyman is 66 years old and mick jagger is on the doorstep of 60

and the '50s rockers, well, they are pushing or past 70

how old is chuck berry?:p :p :p

12. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

i'm a classic rock fan too

i don't want to list all of my bands because that would just be a repeat of many already listed

my favorite band is pink floyd

13. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

have you seen alex lifeson lately?

talk about aging...boy, shed some weight...ha ha

geddy still looks the same but with a few wrinkles...he must be a vegitarian and get to sleep by nine every night:D

14. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Don't forget Rush, and Triumph. Hmmm. Would Twisted Sister be considered classic? Or just a good anthem band?

15. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

gotta love pearl jam, neil young seems to be the "god father" of grunge music somehow :S, but then again his music has went from a prarie town rockish tone when he lived out here back in the mid 60s, to the stuff he played in the 80s (lol he did lots of "experimenting" with different styles back then)..creed seems to much of a copy cat of pearl jam...and i love pearl jam's music alot more than creed's

16. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I must say - every single one of you has horrible taste. Except iGAV.

NOT A SINGLE ONE OF YOU MENTIONED THE BEATLES. You should all be shot!

17. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I was just wondering... I wouldn't really call them classic rock
    though. They are in their own genre. They are in the 'beatles'
    genre, yes they get their own. But still, they should be mentioned
    here.

18. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

i'm a classic rock fan, and have been for a few years now, probly since i first started liking macs, maybe a bit before. im 15, and i cant stand most rap or pop. all those bands are great, but you cant leave out the beatles, although i partially agree with scem, they do fall into their own category, even though its still classic rock. classic rock is just pleasing to the ears, as opposed to a lot of other music people listen to these days.

19. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

It's okay scem0, I know what you mean.

To go off on a bit of a tangent here, I also have a problem with the term "classic rock." It's a label that makes what it describes sound like old music for tired old men who live in the past. I think reality is exactly the opposite. There has never been a more energetic, vivacious, life-affirming music than what came out 35 years ago during the British Invasion. Modern popular rock just sucks in comparison - overproduced, passionless, contrived, soulless, formulaic, depressing. It doesn't mean anything anymore. When Pete Townshend stood on stage windmilling My Generation in front of his dual Hiwatt stacks, it meant something. Nowadays some nu-metal band can have eight solid-state Crate stacks and sound like absolute ear-poppingly loud muddy garbage and nobody even cares. Or notices! When Jimi Hendrix played the Star Spangled Banner at Woodstock, it meant something. When Scott Stapp gets up on stage and bellows his melodramatic mock-Eddie-Vedder "Writh ahhhrms wahd ohh-puhhhhn!" it doesn't mean jack ****. Mainsteam rock music has ceased to be a mode of social change and now only exists as a product. I would say this is the reason "classic rock" is still so popular: It's popular because, unlike all current mainsteam rock music, it's authentic.

20. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

the greatness of the beatles definitely puts them in their own category

their later stuff was so expansive that they were more than just a rock band

21. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

that was my first impression of creed

i also love pearl jam and think they were one of the most important bands of their time

still, i like creed's compositions more...to me, they have the intensity of pearl jam and the songwriting ability of...i can't find a comparison...they are incredible songwriters