Classic Sound Funk

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Makosuke, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Makosuke macrumors 603

Here's an odd one I haven't been able to figure out yet: Sound in the Classic environment (at least, in Tristan, the old game I've been running) suddenly went funky on me.

I have a very old version of Tristan, and it worked fine in classic as long as I switched to 256 colors (surprising how decent Panther manages to look even at low color depths--much better than Jaguar, if I remember).

However, for no readily apparent reason, at some point it suddenly started playing all the sounds at about half speed (so they're all lower-pitched than they should be). Then, a little while later, I started getting dropouts at the begining of playing a sound--if there's a continuous stream of sound it's ok (albeit too low-pitched), but quick sounds are chopped off at the begining or gone entirely if they're short enough.

I'm listening to the sound with a pair of headphones in the front jack on my G5, and also have a pair of speakers plugged into the back analog out port, and an optical cable in the other port.

I haven't experimented thoroughly with different combinations, but restarting classic or OSX as whole didn't help. It's really bizzare that this would suddenly start happening when I made NO software changes at all.

Anybody else seen anything like this with Classic?

2. KevinKillion macrumors newbie

Same thing ... eight years later!

It just happened to me ... sounds in my Classic apps now play at about half-speed! Was there ever any explanation for this?