Classic Support

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Declan, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Declan macrumors member

I am new Mac user, so could some one explain how i install classic support on panther please.

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

When you quit Classic applications, does the Classic Environment automatically quit on its own?

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

In order for Panther to support Classic, a working version of OS 9 must be installed somewhere on the drive (or partition, or external drive, etc.). That's it.

4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

No, you have to quit it from System Preferences > Classic. You can also set an amount of time for classic to sleep, if you use it frequently.

5. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

If you have a newer machine that only boots to Mac OS X then you will have to use the original CD's (or the DVD if you have SuperDrive) to install Classic Support! Install the software restore application and then only select Classic Support.

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

if only there were some network that allowed you to download things like OS 9 Install CDs, since Apple doesn't sell OS 9 anymore, tho it's not technically public domain yet... I think most people would agree that if such a network existed, it wouldn't be *too* wrong to download it...

you'd then burn the image to a CD, and install from that. :)

paul

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't find that pull down palette in my menu bar. Where and how did you set that up?

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Go back and read dontmakemehurtu's instructions.

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you for your assistance dontmakemehurtu. I figured that it was better to shut it down when not in use, such as overnight. Until I upgrade software to X, I'm still quit dependent on Classic.

10. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

declan, I failed to see the key question: Are you on a G5, or earlier machine?
    Apple's G5s do NOT support "Classic" OS 9. G4s and earlier do run OS 9 in Classic.
    I have a separate (60gb HD) that I have OS 9.2.2 installed on and have directed the OSX to that system folder when I need to launch Classic. I find however, that when I need to print something from Word or other "Classic" programs I have to re-start on the OS 9 drive and use the setups there, then go back to my startup disk and restart on OSX to get back to normal. I still can't figure that one out. If I try to use MS Word by launching it in OSX and Classic starts and Word opens - all OK, but when I go to print I get an error message that says "can't find printer". go figure.

Hope That sheds some light, Sparky

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you've got a new Mac, you should already have Classic installed and ready to go. The only time you won't have Classic is if you've formatted the HD, or manually removed it.

Anyway, just put in the "Software Restore" CD that came with your system, and choose to only install Classic. It will look something like the attached picture.

By the way, you might want to update your profile and add a description of your computer. It can be helpful when we're trying to figure things out :)

Attached Files: