Classic UI Support in OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by St. Jimmy, Dec 19, 2005.

1. St. Jimmy macrumors newbie

St. Jimmy

Is Classic UI still included in OS X? I just want to know, it is kind of a stupid question, but it had to be asked. :)

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Classic is still included with the install/recovery discs that ship with new PowerPC Macs. It's not included with retail boxes of OS X. Apple also are telling people to expect no Classic support at all for the upcoming Intel Macs.

(Only because you called it a "classic UI", I'll mention that Classic does _not_ put the old-style appearance on new software. It's only for running pre-OS X software.)

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

It is indeed, although I don't think it's included in the standard install. You'll need to run the Classic Installer included on one of the CDs (I think it's labelled 'Additional Software' but I don't have my disks to hand), but it's a very quick and easy process – you won't have any problems.

4. St. Jimmy thread starter macrumors newbie

St. Jimmy

I called it Classic UI because on the system folder the file is called Classic UI and Classic Support on my computer. But yeah, I was hearing that the MacIntel platform wasn't going to support programs running on PowerPC G3 and G4 and MacOS 9 and earlier. What's up with that? :confused:

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's not economically worth while to spend thousands of man hours porting ancient crusty code to support a fractional market place.