Classic with Tiger help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jotamurray, May 15, 2005.

1. jotamurray macrumors member

After installing Tiger I have noticed that if I press the rainbow apple (classic) I only get a 4 option menu:
    1. the program about option
    2. the program help option
    3. recent applications
    4. recent servers

How can I get the long menu back(i.e to get the selector option and change printer)

Everything else seems to go ok... except my usb dsl modem which hasn't got a driver yet but will do in the near future.
    thanx in advance

El jota

2. tamara6 macrumors regular

This will probably not help you, but I've installed Tiger and my classic is working just fine. I see "apple menu items" under the classic icon in the os x toolbar, and the chooser is still there. All the items in this "apple menu items" are also shown in the real apple menu (under the rainbow colored apple) when I am in a classic application.

When I launched classic the first time under Tiger, it had to be updated somehow. If this didn't happen for you, that might be your problem. Maybe you need to search for a classic updater over on Apple.com.

3. Kerry Sanders macrumors regular

Kerry Sanders

Sorry for the newbie question, but how does one run Classic from Tiger? I have been wondering that. I just recently got my first Mac (dual 2.0 PM).

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I don't think it was factory-installed (I might be wrong, though). To check, go to System Preferences. Do you see a "9" icon? If not, then you'll have to install it yourself. The OS 9 (classic) disc should be included with your PowerMac. Check the included discss, one should be labeled classic or Mac OS 9 or something like that. Install it from that disc.

5. Kerry Sanders macrumors regular

Kerry Sanders

Thanks for the reply. I do not see a 9. I don't guess I really need it. I was just curious. :)

6. jotamurray thread starter macrumors member

I'll try update it. I can go to the chooser from osx - but it's easier clicking on the rainbow apple

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Clarify

You have to install it separately, but to be honest, unless you are an old 9 user, you have absolutely no reason to use it. Classic is simply a way to appease the few who refuse to update their software to run with modern operating systems. It hasn't really changed in about five years now.