Classical music and studying

Discussion in 'Community' started by goodtimes5, Jan 24, 2005.

1. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Does classical music really help you study?

I remember reading studies where classical music helped you to remember things better. Add this with the study that babies prefer classical music to all others.

Personally, I prefer silence. However, I listen to Touch and Go - Life's a Beach to relax my brain in preparation.

2. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I've heard the same, but I am thinking that it is the quality of the studying you do that provides the final result. Maybe if you believe that it helps the psychological preparation, in terms of not letting your mind wander and focusing on what it is you are studying.

I am taking Psychology for winter intercession and my Professor spent some time on this subject that was raised in a different form. Someone asked if playing classical music for babies really made them smarter, she asked how you would know? and suggested that the baby is doing better because the parents care enough to be involved and spend the time making sure that their kid(s) is on the right track.

I think her assertion was to do whatever you think helps you study. On my really good study days, everything gets tuned out anyway. I finish reading and realize the CD was over a while ago.

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    sometiems i put on some vivaldi if i need to study i dont know if it helps but it makes me feel more confident than listening to hard rock or rap :)

4. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

The studies that suggested that classical music helps people study turned out to be bogus. However, if it helps, you, personally, to focus, then that's what counts. I study better without any sound, myself.

5. brap macrumors 68000

Absolutely.

It relaxes me, and helps me concentrate. Has to be a symphony, though - flutes irritate the hell out of me, and should be stopped.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I don't study much anymore but when I'm doing something that needs concentration like some proofing, I like to listen to ambient stuff like Brian Eno, Harold Budd etc.

Music but not music. Sublimally there...

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I love classical, anything from medieval/renaissance polyphonic sacred stuff all the way up to early 20th century composers. I always found that it has an ambient quality that is relaxing. Most electronic music is too manic for me to concentrate, and forget rock for relaxation/concentration. Ditto for hip hop, but I don't like hip hop anyway.

8. Norouzi macrumors 6502

For me I'll concentrate better listening to any music without words, not necesaraly just classical. Wen I did tech work I always had iTunes playing classical while I worked though and found it very soothing.

9. verozov macrumors regular

verozov

For me...

Whenever I'm studying I just put iTunes on shuffle and listen to whatever comes over. Music doesn't really distract me, and I usually listen while I'm going to sleep. BTW, this is like current music.

10. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

ditto, also you don't want anything too catchy. you don't want to take a test or anything and the only thing you can think of is "this is the song that never ends, it goes on and on my friend..."

if that song is stuck in your head now, I've done my job.
    follow the white rabbit​

11. acceber macrumors regular

We had this guy come to our school and give us a talk about effective studying etc. He recommended classical music, specifically one composer (which I forget), because it had a timing of 60 bpm or something like that and he claimed that it would help us concentrate better. He also said it was scientifically proven.

I didn't listen to him of course, I like classical but not for hours on hed. I listened to rock (depending on the subject I was studying) and did relatively well. So, I don't really think this classical music stuff is for everybody. ;)

12. Rohan Moore macrumors newbie

Being able to perpetually 'abstract' is the most important skill in understanding anything, I think. Whether studying sciences or humanities, identifying and understanding systems is key. There are some strong musical traditions that use very complex systems to interweave and evolve melodies in complex interactive forms, that can be very hard to follow, but are strangely easy to enjoy. Baroque fugues are good examples, but other folk music systems are equally, as well as some of the quasi-folk music from the European Romantic tradition, for example Franz Liszt.

If listening to music does help study, I'd be tempted to surmise the reason is something more related to a low-level familiarisation with complex systems, rather than simply relating to relaxation. To encourage a greater ability to accept, understand, or identify new complex systems, probably a general move to listening to more complex structured music throughout everyday life would help (though listening whilst actually studying might cause interference to begin with).

Same would stand equally for more demanding literature and narrative, film etc. Listening to regular popular melodies, reading popular literature and watching mainstream film, relies essentially on repeating familiar and often (at least in part) predictable patterns: that seems to me to be less likely to encourage novel lines of thought when trying to assimilate or conceive of complex, non-intuitive systems of any kind.

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My wife prefers classical music, very calm and soothing. She used it for studying, music that isn't distracting. I find it to be very soothing also. It's the type of music that I listen to on the weekend. Since it's been a while since studying, no real experience. Although for concentration, I always needed quiet. Think that the reason classical music is appropriate for studying is that there isn't any singing.

14. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

before a big test i always play kenny g and it seems to help me focus :rolleyes: