Clay Is New Food Delicacy

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacNut, Sep 16, 2004.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Clay Is New Food Delicacy

Dirt Is Hot In South Africa

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa -- The latest tasty treat to fly off the shelves in South Africa is clay.

Clay: It's What's For Dinner

The craving for clay is usually found among pregnant and lactating women. Clay eating, however, is a widespread practice in South Africa and neighboring countries.

It is also a popular treat in parts of Europe and the United States. Some vendors say the practice has sometimes become addictive.

Some vendors have even claimed that customers become angry or depressed when they run out of clay.

Some of the clay eaters believe eating it cleans out their intestinal tract and rids the body of infections and parasites.

A professor of geology at Wits University in South Africa confirmed that the clay does have medicinal use and is not particularly harmful.

However, some doctors have said that overconsumption can lead to constipation, vomiting and nausea.

There is also a possibility of ingesting parasitic worms, or eggs of the worms by eating the soil.

2. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

That's practically cannibalism! Well, if you live in the world of Kiln People anyway....

3. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

4. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

This is old news. I remember reading about something similar in National Geographic.
    Some black women in the southern U.S. swear by eating 'white clay'. It's an old remedy that helps pregnant women with nausea.
    I think a little bit of dirt in your food ain't all that bad. Keeps you vigorous. Just be careful you don't get hookworms or the like.

5. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-All

This is all fine and good, but let me emphasis some words from the article: "can lead to constipation"

Can you imagine the day after consuming a clay turkey dinner?!

And what the heck would that do to your home's plumbing?!?!?

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

My Geology professor once told me that some cheap soft ice creams and cheap "milk"shakes contain clay. Actually, she said that the companies don't even claim to be selling milkshakes. They just advertise them as Strawberry Shakes, since they can't sell them as milkshakes.

I wonder if it's true? I didn't bother checking Snopes because....well.......sometimes they're wrong. They're why info on the internet shouldn't always be taken as fact.

7. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    its a good thing i cant ever become a pregnant lactating woman :)
    seriously i wonder what it tastes like, but the thought of putting dirt in my mouth doesnt appeal although iv eaten things much worse than dirt