Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foxpica3000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2016
Dear all,

Few days ago, I made a USB el capitan installation disk, using the method of the Apple official website.

Then I use this USB disk to make a clean install of el capitan. When my macbook reboot, I press the option key, then erase my disk, click install. The first procedure was preparing to install, which was as following picture (I did not capture the picture when I made installation,so I use a picture from the internet):
preparing.JPG

After the preparing, the procedure went to next ,which was showed as follow (also I used a picture from the internet):
install.JPG

Then the installation was finished.

Yesterday , because my OS X system had some problem, I decided to use the same USB disk to install the el capitan again. Just like the first time, I restart my MACBOOK, press the option key. The screen was different with the first time I made the installation. The beginning screen was as follow(also I get the picture from internet):
Direct+install+screen2.jpg

Then I erase my hard disk, then click continue , the procedure was as follow, without the "preparing to install " procedure, the procedure is "install on hard disk", which was as follow( also I got the picture from internet):
installing+on.png

Then the installation was finished.

So I would like to know, I use the same USB disk to clean install el capiton twice(with hard disk erased). why the procedure are totally different? Thanks!!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.