Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supermati

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
I posted this in another thread but I don't think it was the right one, sorry about that.

I have a question I couldn't find an answer for:

I am currently running Lion on a late 2011 MBP and I will Clean Install ML during this weekend. I have an external Hard Drive (Not Time Machine) which is going to be used to back up all my personal files (music, documents, photos, etc.)

What I'm not completely sure of is how does iPhoto work. When I purchased my Mac, I wanted control over my photo files. So I DESELECTED "COPY PHOTOS TO THE IPHOTO LIBRARY"

In the "Pictures" folder, I now have a bunch of self-made folders with pictures that are also in iPhoto but not "Copied". There's also a "iPhoto Library" file (about 1gb whilst the whole folder is about 12gb).

What would be the best way for me to transfer my pictures to the External HD and then back to the clean state SSD with ML. I want to keep my Faces, Locations, Events, etc.

Thanks!!!

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I posted this in another thread but I don't think it was the right one, sorry about that.

I have a question I couldn't find an answer for:

I am currently running Lion on a late 2011 MBP and I will Clean Install ML during this weekend. I have an external Hard Drive (Not Time Machine) which is going to be used to back up all my personal files (music, documents, photos, etc.)

What I'm not completely sure of is how does iPhoto work. When I purchased my Mac, I wanted control over my photo files. So I DESELECTED "COPY PHOTOS TO THE IPHOTO LIBRARY"

In the "Pictures" folder, I now have a bunch of self-made folders with pictures that are also in iPhoto but not "Copied". There's also a "iPhoto Library" file (about 1gb whilst the whole folder is about 12gb).

What would be the best way for me to transfer my pictures to the External HD and then back to the clean state SSD with ML. I want to keep my Faces, Locations, Events, etc.

Thanks!!!

Just copy the main photo folder, and the iPhoto library file. After the install, put the photo folder and the iPhoto library file back in the same place as they were before. You might need to repair the library the first time you open it, but you will keep everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.