Clean install needed for a 1 month old?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iMetalG5, May 5, 2005.

1. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2005
    My buddy who just got his iMac G5 about 6 weeks ago is wondering if he really needs to do a clean re-install of Tiger (he just got it last night). I say no. As all he really has done so far is download icons, wallpapers, and surf the 'net.

I can understand someone that has been running 10.3.x for the past year or so wanting to do a full re-install and wipe the drive clean but how about only 6 weeks of use?

and yes he is kicking himself as i type that he did not wait for the revisions...
  2. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    What's Your Favorite Posish
    has he got a problem with the machine?
  3. iMetalG5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2005
    oh no i meant that since the revised iMac came out he's kicking himself as he wished he had waited.
  4. patseguin macrumors 65816

Aug 28, 2003
    I would say he could do an archive and install. That will create a clean install of the OS and maintain all of his apps and documents. The previous system will be move to a folder called "previous systems" which then could be backed up or just deleted.
  5. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mar 5, 2005
    No need really.
    I have done both on different system:
    1. A clean install for my PB G3 500 laptop - thought I'd see how the base system ran, and add apps and such subsequently. I clean installed this machine with 10.3 a while ago (Over a year)
    2. An upgrade install on a 1GHz G4 iMac (17"). This machine came with 10.2 about 2.5 years ago, and I haven't clean installed it ever.

The problem with archive and install is the physical location of the system folders on the HD, but as OS X defrags "on the fly" the speed difference shouldn't be too noticeable.

I may have clean installed on the iMac, but am in the middle of a project, and don't have an adequate backup system. I still may do it to get rid of 2.5 years of crap on there, and just re-install the things I want. (I'm worried for my calendars etc though, with my Palm Pilot and stuff.)

For a 1 month old machine, I WOULD do a clean install, if there's nothing critical to lose (like iTM folders). It gives you the perfect opportunity to do everything the way you should have the first time ;)

Here's a criteria I would use:
    <4GB Home Folder: Backup Home to DVD (or otherwise) and Clean install. (You may also want to back up the App folder)
    It's amazing the stuff you find in your backups that you look at and then think "I don't need that, why did I even have it?" :) I reckon a clean install of my iMac, and then putting back the stuff I want would gain me AT LEAST 10-15GB of space!

Remember too, that a lot of apps will have a Tiger update soon, so as long as you can remember the ones you use and pay for (make a list etc.) you can get the new ones as they appear!

There are definite benefits to both. Depends how Virgoan you are!
  6. iMetalG5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2005
    thanks, passed that post along to him but he is too lazy and all he wants to do is get tiger on there asap. oh well...
  7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    This debate should be made into a sticky, it comes up so often.

My opinion: clean installs are almost never necessary and only rarely advisable.