clean install on new mac?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jeffosx, May 16, 2003.

1. jeffosx macrumors newbie

Hi all, been running OSX on my PB for 6+ months and it very rarely crashed, had the spinning disk a few times and managed to kill the crap in term...

We have purchased 2 iMacs 1 with Jag and the other 10.1.x. and a DP 1.25 Ghz PM (Jag). The 2 computers with Jag preinstalled have had more crashes in their 1st week than I had in 6 months and the other which I upgraded to Jag has been fine. Is this just a fluke or does the "factory install" of Jag suck for some reason??? I will probably wipe the PM and reinstall Jag but dont get what could be different...

Any thoughts?

Cheers

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

3. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

don't be so judicious unless you have time to spare. have you repaired permissions and run "fsck -y" in terminal?
    that's about a 99% of fixing your problems there, if not. otherwise, if you don't stand to lose any info and have the time, go for it, man.

4. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

the actually install process of OS X is very fast. if i don't install printer drivers it takes 15 minutes on my iBook. i think that's impressive.

backing up and making sure i got everything i want to keep is another thing altogether.

5. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Related Question

Hello all,
    I've got a related question here. My new (to me) Quicksilver DP GHz machine has beed oddly crash ridden. Programs crash like crazy (especially when waking from sleep) and I've had 5 kernel panics in 2 weeks. I'm running a fresh install of Jaguar with the combined updater and repaired disk permissions as well as MacJanitor. What's the prognosis? Thanks for the help! :)

6. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

it's not OS X i am talking about. you have to factor in installing all your apps, and redoing all the settings from scratch--which, for me, is a hell of a lot of work, as i use custom icons for lots of stuff (candy bar is a life saver there), and i am kinda anal about how apps like photoshop and MS word are arranged, toolbar-wise.

7. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Related Question

does it seem to happen with any certain app, or does it just kind of happen out of the blue? if it happens out of the blue, it could be something like your ram having a bad bit.

which is a bitch to test, if the apple hardware test CD that came with your mac won't. you'd have to take one slot out and try it with the other, then switch them... i would run that hardware test CD you should have, i think.

8. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

people always talking about how reseting the PRAM can solve things. worth a shot.

at start up hold down Cmd+Option+P+R and keep holding until you've heard the chime 3 times. give it go.

9. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Re: Re: Related Question

Ok, the crashes only seem to happen with Safari and SETI. It's really weird. As for the kernel panics, there's no rhyme or reason. I've got 1.5 GB RAM (the 512 MB DIMM from Apple and 2 Kingston 512 MB DIMMs). I've run the hardware test CD and everything comes out just fine. Any other ideas?

10. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Re: Re: Related Question

sounds like you need to trash SETI and start using folding :rolleyes: ;)

11. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Re: Re: Re: Re: Related Question

Heh. Fair enough then. My problem with Folding is the whole terminal thing. I like SETI because I can run it as a graphical client or a screensaver. Fix this and I'm there. ;):)

12. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Related Question

i was sure there was a graphical client for folding. and besides, the point of the terminal is that you can run it as a service and it never stops.

13. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Related Question

you're absolutely right. there most definitely is a mac graphical client, available here. there's even a screen saver!

don't be a folder hater. do something useful. throw that SETI crap away!

14. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Related Question

Alright alright! Consider my arm twised! I'll get on it in the morning. I do have a few questions, though, that weren't very well answered in the Folding FAQ or in the DC forum. What's the Graphical client like and how do the work units compare to the SETI structure, for example. Any answers for me? ;)

15. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

for that question, it's time to take a ride on the reading railroad... do not pass go, do not collect $200, but be sure and post your questions there--after you read the MR FAQ/other stuff. i can't answer that one, though, as i am a dedicated terminal user--new terminal, "~/.folding," <ENTER>, cmd+h, and you're on your way.

16. jeffosx thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip. I had repaired permissions after the 10.2.6 update. I tried the fsck and am unsure as to what happened... Just got the prompt again and couldnt see anything happening with ps or top??

I thought that doing a safe boot ran fsck and that was the big delay??

Hasnt crashed for a week now so am very unsure as to whats up...

Cheers

17. bhpfan1 macrumors newbie

como es eso?

hi, could you explain me how does it work? ( Cmd+Option+P+R) i mean, what does it do?

and a real question for you guys (and a favor too)

would u help me with this?
    i've got a G4 1GHz on OS X.2.2
    The thing is that i want to really restart on OS 9 totally and independiently from OS X, or even reformatting my HD (ive got only one) to install it on it... but it doesn't allow me at all... OSX is there all the time like a sort of "big brother" handling the situation completely...
    I've got OSX DVD (booteable), OS9.2.2 4 CDs, and a SCSI HD (i need a connector conversor to attach it, though)
    Suggestions pleeeeease?
    I've got a lot of audio plugins that dont work on classic!

many Thanks

18. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

System Preferences>Startup Disk>OS 9>Restart

That should take care of your problem. :)

19. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

Re: como es eso?

there are various settings like time and date, monitor resolution and such that are stored in the PRAM, just a very small space that mac's use for stuff that they can't wait until the OS has booted. it is not used so much anymore and can be problematic in some cases.

some people say you have to zap the pram 5 times to make a difference... i have found 3 does the job, but there may be other settings that are 5 only. but apple won't give away such secrets. it might confuse the user :rolleyes:

20. The Reaper macrumors member

never mix ram from different vendors in OSX, ESPECIALLY with the new powermacs. that creates all sorts of conflict issues. try it using only tha apple ram for a week or 2.

21. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

i would say test it with the 2 kingston chips instead... :cool:

22. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Yeah, the loss of 512 mb sounds less aggravating than the loss of 1 GB. I'll give that a shot and see how it goes.