Clean install or migration assistant?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by vipgeorges, Dec 31, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi,

So, I'm getting my iMac 27" on Wed and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get all my data to the iMac (from my Macbook Aluminum).

I know some folks prefer to do a clean install instead of using migration assistant. I have a ton of apps so the process would take a while for me. It's doable, but time consuming (at least I think it would be).

Are there any proven performance upsides to doing a clean install? My current system works really well without any issues...

Thanks!

2. macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Assuming the old machine is clean and has no issues then by all mean use Setup Assistant, NOT repeat NOT Migration Assistant.

3. macrumors newbie

pplease can you tell me why not to use Migration Assistance. I am in the same boat as the OP and I haven't heard of setup assistance

Thanks

4. macrumors 6502

Setup Assistant is similar but does what you want. You'll get you files, your programs and, most important, network settings. You are prompted at tail end of several of the install options (such as Full, Clean, Archive) to kick in the Setup Assistant.

Easier than you think.

5. macrumors 68020

How do you get Setup Assistant to run AFTER the initial OS X boot?

6. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

If your current system is running fine, just use Migration Assistant. There are some users here that are big believers in a clean install, but I just have never seen the benefit, much lesst before/after tests showing any benefit.

User rkaufmann87 is confused. The process he described of importing your settings and data IS Migration Assistant. Setup assistant is a process that runs when you turn on a new Mac. It asks you to select a time zone, then select a language, then asks if you want to run Migration Assistant.

From your question, it sounds like you have already setup a user account and now want to run Migration Assist (MA) to get your data in from the old machine... yes?

Here is what you do. Go into system preferences and in Users & Groups, add a new temp admin account called "temp". Now logout of your account and login to the temp account. Go back to Users & Groups and delete your personal account and all the data in it. Now from the temp account launch Migration Assistant from /Applications/Utilities. Then follow the directions to import everything from your old machine or old Time Machine backup (check all the boxes in MA).

When the import is done, restart the machine and login to your personal account (not the temp) that will have been brought over during the import. Once you have verified everything is there and working properly, go back to Users & Groups and delete the temp accoutn we made.

Done.

I am making the assumption here you have all your data on the old machine or a Time Machine backup and there is nothing on the new machine you mind losing.