Clean install without touching Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by digitalmatt, May 4, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Can I wipe OSX and do a clean install without screwing up my bootcamp partition? I have done several OSX upgrades (was a n00b) and want to do a clean install of Mountain Lion, but would like to not have to reinstall windows 7 and everything else I have running in bootcamp. Many thanks!

2. macrumors regular

Should be ok, although I've never tried it myself.

As long as you only partition and format the Mac OS volume you should be fine. Can't guarantee though, and I would ALWAYS make a clone of the entire drive to recover to in case of problems.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

what do you recommend for cloning the drive?

4. macrumors 604

I use SuperDuper, which will clone the osx partition. It gives you a bootable backup.

Others prefer CCC, which can copy the osx partition plus the recovery partition.

5. macrumors 6502a

RedRaven571

Have done this 4 times recently (fresh install 10.8.1, revert to SL (fresh install), fresh install 10.8.3, fresh install revert to SL); only erased/reformated OSX partition, Win XP bootcamp was untouched and functional each time.

6. macrumors regular

Thanks for the confirmation, and I use Carbon Copy Cloner, but then I have a Pro Licence which allows me to use it to work on 3rd party machines, and it has never failed to do what I need.