Clean Install

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by BlueHorizonUK, Feb 25, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Oct 29, 2003
    I am flummoxed I can't do a clean install. When I go into install, I go to options and click restart. It doesn't do it automatically so I do it manually and then immediately it restarts and then goes into installing it. If I try and quit it restarts again and loads the startup disc. I can't seem to get into Utilities to do a erase and then install a fresh clean copy of Lion.

2. macrumors 603

Aug 29, 2008
    You'll need to create a partition, install in that. Currently, there is no option for a clean install as outlined in the notes for the build.
  3. macrumors 68000

Sep 22, 2006
    boot your Leopard disc and use the utilities in that to erase your partition, then restart with Lion. Beware that Lion might require an upgrade from Leopard which could be why they removed the utility menu.
  4. macrumors member

Jun 20, 2009
    if you erase your current partition with your old SL disk, how do you get the 10.7 dmg to run? do you have to first burn it as a dvd?
  5. macrumors 6502

Steve Ballmer

Oct 2, 2009
    Redmond, WA
    Apple says you need 10.6.6 but that seems to be a lie. I had no issues whatsoever installing Lion onto a completely clean, completely empty external drive. Just make sure it's formatted as a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) drive.
  6. macrumors member

Feb 17, 2010
    Do a quick install of lion then boot on to the recovery drive by holding down the alt ket when rebooting. in the recovery drive you get most of the features of booting from an install dvd. including disk utilities so you can reformat your main drive and clean install.
  7. Maclver, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

macrumors 68020

Nov 23, 2008
    36°07′53″N 95°56′14″W
    So how do we do this with what is downloaded from the App Store? But not onto an external drive.....