Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamescwarren

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2005
Isle of Man
OK I am sure some of you have already seen and posted to my MAJOR PROBLEM thread and I am greatful. Problem is though I don't understand any of this technical stuff so I have decided I need to do a clean install of Mac OS X 10.4. Thing is though, and before I go and take it to a servicer or do a clean install, what exactly will a clean install do? I know that it will resolve my problem posted in my other thread (hopefully) but will it delete anything? If it will, go into detail. Will it delete all of my 3rd party apps, documents, music, photo's etc? Please go into detail. Will it delete iLife 05'? If not will it delete all of my iLife 05' updates. Will it delete anything else? I want to know all this so I know what I need to back up (I would back up everything but I don't have a big enough hard drive). I have had a look on Apple's website about the Archive And Install feature on the install discs but heard that it will put all my stuff into a folder??? Is this true because I really would not like that. Just go into detail on everything PLEASE I am about to start pulling my hair out!:( :( :(

ScottB

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2005
Britain
Hi, a clean install will totally wipe your whole hard drive. Be careful.

You'll have to backup everything that you want again after the installation. I think that that the archive and install feature keeps everything in your home folder intact and removes everything else, I say this because I've never used archive and install before but am preity sure this is what happens, which means it will delete many of the things your are refering to. To answer your request, it will delete all your 3rd party applications if they are not stored in your home folder, e.g. your /Applications folder. The installer does tell you most of what you need to know but please wait for a few more responses before doing any kind of install if your not sure what will happen.

jamescwarren

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2005
Isle of Man
I mean archive and install. If I do archive and install and click on "preserve user accounts and network preferences" or at least i think it's something like that, will it just install a clean install of Mac OS X and keep everything like it was before (apple included applications, all my documents, 3rd party applications, music, photos)? Basically I just want it to be just like before as if it hadn't gone wrong. Thanks :(

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Yes..

/Users isn't touched, and only the Apple apps in /Applications and /Applications/Utilites are moved/replaced.

All other directories, invis and vis are moved to /Previous Systems and replaced with new ones.

So, nothing is Deleted. Make sure you have enough disk space first to do this.

jamescwarren

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2005
Isle of Man
Regarding disc space. will it copy everything i have AND keep the original cos' if it does that I won't have enough space. help please but I think I am going to take my PB to my local servicers.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
That's what it does. Moves to /Previous Systems and then reinstalls everything. It does NOT duplicate your /Users folder, nor does it do much about /Applications, only the Apple apps are reinstalled there. Sounds like you need to back everything up before you do anything else. If you don't back up, you're just asking for trouble.

Xcaliber

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2006
Do you have an external hard drive available to you? If you do, you should just clone your current system to the external, then just do a complete erase and install. During the set up phase on the install, it will as if you would like to transfer data from another device, you can choose the external hard drive, or even another Mac.

External hard drives are not terribly expensive, I'm not sure what a service tech will charge you to do a fresh install and migrate your data back, but you may want to compare options. An external hard drive is always a good thing to have around.

Edit: ... Only thing I'm not sure about is if you migrate the data back, will you also migrate the Front Row problem? .. This I'm not sure about.

DougTheImpaler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2006
Central Illinois
yellow said:
If you don't back up, you're just asking for trouble.
QFT. That's true, anyway...I've lost projects that were without backups and when you hear *click bang screeeeeeeeee" on a hard drive, you know the write head has hit the platter and you're SOL. So I give lectures on backups now...I have them strewn throughout my house...:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.