Clean Install?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Maclicious, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Maclicious macrumors regular

Maclicious

10.3.3 has screwed something up badly. I think the only thing for it is a clean install. But, how do I preserve all my data in Mail, Address Book and iCal--will Apple's Backup do it, allowing me to restore after I do a clean install, or should I take additional steps? Like copy my entire drive over to firewire--what files would I be looking for to copy back and where would they go on the newly installed drive? Any help appreciated, thanks!

2. NP3 macrumors regular

I would try doing the clean install off the Panther CD where it doesn't erase anything, just restores the system to 10.3.0.

Otherwise all of that data from the 3 programs are in is stored in your user names' application support folder or in the Library...

3. Maclicious thread starter macrumors regular

Maclicious

I've done the archvie and install option with Panther (3 times...), but then when I try going back up the update tree, to 10.3.3, after reboot I get the same strange black screen BSD (console) asking in plain text for a log-in and password that didn't accept anything I could supply.

4. NP3 macrumors regular

Humm....then thats beyond me...

I would see if you can go up by update....10.3.1...10.3.2..and reboot after each....i don't personally have panther yet but i assume its all a combined update now....try searching through apple's downloads archives for the individual updates, and reboot after each....then maybe just stay with 10.3.2....bad option, but thats all i can think of, sorry.

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

try to reset the password in the password reset utility on the X CD when you put the cd in the drive reboot holding c and then in one of the menus the program should be there.

6. briankonar macrumors regular

an archive update will do nothing to solve your problem, as it leaves any potentially bad files on your computer.

clean install, your preferenecs and info should all be in your Library under Preferences and Application Support, save your Keychains too if you need them.

7. Maclicious thread starter macrumors regular

Maclicious

Ok, I did the clean install option from the panther disc. Strangely, when I opened iChat, all my old buddies popped up--some memory persisted. Also, still having problems updating--this leads me to believe the clean install option is not as clean as it could be. I'll try reformating the drive next, I guess. Or, just stick with 10.3.0, which seems to be meeting my needs just fine!