Clean Installs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by firststrike101, Oct 3, 2005.

1. firststrike101 macrumors member

I want to do a clean install of OSX-Tiger but I cannot find my some of my program discs, ie. Creative Suite. I fear they got lost during my move in summer. Is there a way to copy the programs to a disc to save them. Like do I have to copy the prefs of them too? Any help would be swell.

Thanks.

2. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Make a carbon copy of your disk to an external drive ... It might work to copy the programs from the external to your clean install. If it fails, you can always boot from your external and have access to your programs

3. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

I'm not sure if this is the same type of thing but I recently got a new mac and started it up in firewire target disk mode and it copied all my apps over and they all ran perfectly, except for one that was tied to the HD.

I have a feeling reading the documentation that CS2 also ties the apps to a specific HD but CS1 doesn't do this.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

First questions first: why do you think you need to clean install OSX?

5. firststrike101 thread starter macrumors member

I just prefer to do clean installs, to make sure everything runs smoother. But if this is gonna be a hassle to do then I'll probably just do a install and archieve mode one, until I find where my software discs were placed. Just trying to save time reinsalling the OS.