Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Anyone have any good tips and chemicals to clean Albooks?

I bought this one a month ago and I'm looking to keeping it nice. Mostly I'm worried about keeping any oils from my hands off the palm rest so it doesn't pit.

Other than that, things are great!

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Switzermac said:
What do you mean by Pit
a lot of people have mentioned that the aluminum surface often starts to almost corrode or discolor after a while when regularly using the builtin keyboard and trackpad.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I don't know about cleaning products for the PowerBook but I just bought myself an iLap (do a search on this forum for details) which is a desk or lap stand for the powerbook, with a velvet cushion at the front. The reason I mention this is because I've noticed the cushion at the front keeps my hands from resting on the aluminium... therefore hopefully preventing the pitting problem!

Switzermac

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2005
Aluminium forms a oxide instantaniously when exposed to the oxygen in the air. This oxide protects it and does not corrode so Pit is not a problem

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I use iKlear Apple Polish once a week on both the body and screen of my PB 17" - makes it look brand new. Make sure the computer is off and screen is cold before cleaning though- otherwise it streaks. I bought a RadTech ScreensavRz cloth to protect the screen from keyboard greese when closed - it also is great for using to clean with the iKlear.

iKlear

RadTech ScreensavRz

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Thanks for the iklear tip.

Not sure about the Radtech piece as I'm quite mobile and not sure I really want the extra hassle. That and I ordered a Radtech bag a week ago and it has yet to ship :(

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
aricher said:
I use iKlear Apple Polish once a week on both the body and screen of my PB 17" - makes it look brand new. Make sure the computer is off and screen is cold before cleaning though- otherwise it streaks. I bought a RadTech ScreensavRz cloth to protect the screen from keyboard greese when closed - it also is great for using to clean with the iKlear.

iKlear

RadTech ScreensavRz

I bought the ScreensavRz and Powersleevz products for my PB, and they keep it safe when stored. I have ordered the iKlear based on many reccomendations here, but have not received that yet.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
powermac666 said:
I bought the ScreensavRz and Powersleevz products for my PB, and they keep it safe when stored. I have ordered the iKlear based on many reccomendations here, but have not received that yet.

I was trying to figure out their shipping rates without actually signing up to be a customer in osCommerce.

Can you tell me what the rates are, or how much you paid? How's the tax, too?

punkbass25

macrumors member
May 16, 2005
Switzermac said:
Aluminium forms a oxide instantaniously when exposed to the oxygen in the air. This oxide protects it and does not corrode so Pit is not a problem
except for ...you know.. when it is.. and it happens to quite a few users

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
ITASOR said:
I was trying to figure out their shipping rates without actually signing up to be a customer in osCommerce.

Can you tell me what the rates are, or how much you paid? How's the tax, too?

I didn't need to sign up for anything to add items to a cart and view total cost with shipping/tax. Try this link. Alternately, let me know what size 'Book you have and I'll be happy to price out the items for you.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Switzermac said:
You're correct that aluminum oxidizes when in contact with *gasp* oxygen ;) The PowerBooks, iPod and Mac minis, and the G5 tower are all anodized, along with the casing of the cinema displays, and the stand of the iMac G5. Anodizing gives aluminum a thicker than normal layer of aluminum oxide, making it stiffer and stronger. However, it does not protect the aluminum from the acids and salt found on your skin, especially when sweating, like when you have your wrists on either side of the trackpad.
Luckily, I don't usually keep my wrists there, so I haven't had this problem. Using iKlear (heck, even a damp cloth should do the trick) somewhat regularly should keep the acids and such from eating into the aluminum.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
tuartboy said:
Thanks for the iklear tip.

Not sure about the Radtech piece as I'm quite mobile and not sure I really want the extra hassle. That and I ordered a Radtech bag a week ago and it has yet to ship :(

Believe me - it's not a hassle and it's really the best product to protect your screen and clean your PB - I, and may others, consider it an essential accessory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.