Clean-up of G4 running OS 9.2

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by goldbrick, Jul 15, 2006.

1. goldbrick macrumors newbie

Jun 24, 2006
    I rank as a newbie at this. And I noticed that someone-else asked about cleaning up their mac but that was running OS X. I reckon I need to clean-up this mac from cookies etc etc.

The last time this machine crashed out so I didn't know if I'd lost all the software on it and I had to take it into a technician, I noticed that no drop down menu would stay dropped down, then that came right - happened about twice, then total disaster.

Yesterday I had my first warning shot. The drop-down menus wouldn't stay dropped down. Next day they came right but learning a lesson from last time I want to clean things up if I can, and keep things cleaned. I don't want to upgrade to OS x right now. Any good software out there anybody can recommend please?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    The menus won't stay down? Is that the only problem? The drop-down menus are part of the Apple Menu Option's control panel. Which if I remember right gets a corrupt preference file very often, and causes big problems. Throw away that preference file, get Norton Disk Doctor (for defragging and checks). Or just use Disk First Aid that should be on your computer already.

And if you really want to know the quickest fix. Buy Mac OS X 10.4 and be done with these problems. All 9.2.2 programs will run on 10.4 through Classic.

As for cleaning up the cookies and all, just go into your browser preferences (in the program), and empty the cache and erase all cookies. It's a Mac so there is no adware or viruses!
  3. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

Jun 1, 2005
    Ottawa, Canada
    I think there were some viruses for os9, more than there are for osx anyway.
  4. California macrumors 68040

Aug 21, 2004
    NO there were no viruses on 9. It just was a more unstable as in OLD platform than OSX. There is no reason to be running 9.2 anymore. And, there are NO VIRUSES on OSX so what are you talking about?
  5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    I knew by making the absolute statement about Viruses that someone would correct me. Happens everytime :rolleyes:
  6. tom.96 macrumors regular

Jun 13, 2003
    UK (southern)
    I'm still using OS9 and find any problems are fairly easily fixable.

I have an old OS9 virus protector, and it does list three OS9 viruses. I have never come across any of them though. In fact, on any Mac platform, OSX or 9 I have never had any problems security wise, apart from a friend who got caught on a phishing scam!

OS9 viruses detailed on which is a free program. I have never needed to use it to remove any viruses.
  7. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

May 23, 2005
    London, UK
    For a total clean-up and freebie maintenance app, I strongly recommend you get Applejack and run it fairly regularly (I use it about once a month). It does a series of deep-cleaning repair of permissions, empties caches and stuff and it does it very very well. :)
  8. portent macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2004
    There certainly were viruses for the Classic Mac OS. Several dozen of them, actually. I'm not sure how many actually continued to work under OS 9, (I remember some broke when System 7 came out!) but you could theoretically get one if someone gave you an old, infected disk.