Cleaned up Language files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by romany, Apr 12, 2006.

1. romany macrumors newbie

romany

Hi All
    First post here, could someone help me with this question:
    I have just done a reinstall of Tiger without the Language files and most of the driver and bundled software i did not rerquire ,if i update to Mac OS X Update 10.4.6 ,would i have to remove Language files again?
    Thank You All
    Romany

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Actually, yes (probably). Some updates (not all, though, never found a pattern) will add localization data. :(

On the other hand, that's what we have Monolingual and Delocalizer for... ;)

3. romany thread starter macrumors newbie

romany

Cheers Mitthrawnuruodo
    I have read a few posts elsewhere about Monolingual, and they have said not to use it with a intel mac it screws up your system perhaps they were wrong?
    Anyway i will give it a go!! Thanks
    Romany

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Don't know about that, but if others have had problems than be careful. Remember to backup properly (<- general advice, shouldn't be a problem for you if you remembered to backup before you did the reinstall ;)).

I've never used Monolingual, but run Delocalizer every now and then on my old iBook G4 and never had a problem with that... :)

5. romany thread starter macrumors newbie

romany

Well i have just tried Monolingual after the update and everything looks okay so far, could i ask you another question:i haven't got a .mac account so how could i delete it .
    I would like to get rid of things i have no use for.
    Cheers
    Romany

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Sorry, but the .Mac stuff is (for the most part) there to stay. You can, however, reduce the annoyance with some simple grips (off the top of my head):

Remove the iDisk from Finder sidebar (Finder -> Preferences -> Sidebar -> Show these items...)

Also, I signed up for the 30 or 60 days trial and then shut everything off, that actually stopped some of the nagging.

I also got rid of the iDisk in the Go menu in Finder, but that requires Developer tools and some confidence... ;)

If you say where .Mac annoys you than post back and maybe someone has found a way around it... :)

7. romany thread starter macrumors newbie

romany

8. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

I ran monolingual on my intel iMac and have had no issues yet...

and it freed up almost 2 gigs!

Knock on wood...

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

In general, if you want to find and remove unwanted large files (language files, garage band themes, iDVD themes, whatever) I highly recommend Whatsize.

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

...or OmniDiskSweeper. Remember to get your free one-day license from Omni's page... :)

11. romany thread starter macrumors newbie

romany

Thanks Mitthrawnuruodo,~Shard~,Electro Funk, i now have a clean install without the languages and other files not needed, Monolingual done the job great, whatsize helped removing a lot of junk.
    Going to install the programs now and then remove the Language files again.
    Cheers
    Romany:)

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No problem at all, glad to be of assistance! Anything else just ask... :cool: