Cleanin Out The Hard Drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by topspin98, Aug 1, 2005.

1. topspin98 macrumors member

Hey,

what is the best program to clean your mac?

I have Spring Cleaning and itshorrible because it always unexpectically quits, which pisses me off!!

My hard drive is very confusing, It has been taking up Giga-bites of space that hasnt been used!

I only have 1.68 GB of Music and 3210 pics
    Microsoft Office
    Quicken
    Photstudio
    iWork
    Limewire
    Mac OSX with iLife 05

I have 80gb HD and only 56.25 Gb left. That doesnt sound right to me.

Help!!!

Jake

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says.....Get yourself a copy of Omni Disk Sweeper - it will tell you what is using how much space and where....it will run in "limited" mode for free, which should give you the info you want.

I would say though, that your space does not seem too unreasonable to me...remember that an 80GB drive once formated is more like 76GB or so....iLife takes a lot of space, mostly because of the Garageband files - that's a few GB right there....also your computer will create hidden "swap" files (virtual memory) that will use some of your space as well.....oh yeah!

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Hey Duff-Man, I don't plan on using Garageband on my PB (or really at all, I suppose). Other than trashing the app, what are the other associated files/ items I should trash?

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Garageband/ is where all the audio files for garageband are stored.....that is what you'd want to trash to free up a bunch of space.....oh yeah!

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Duff Man, you da man! Seriously though, thanks!

::edit:: I just saved almost a full 2 GB of HD space!!! Thanks again!!! :D