Cleaning a 5G iPod after removing invisible shield?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by spaceballl, Dec 4, 2005.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hey guys,

I love my invisible shield, but to make a long story short, apple had to check something on my iPod so they peeled off half of the front of the shield. So... it leaves an ugly residue when you peel off the shield. How do you clean this off without scratching the iPod? I want to get a new shield, but want to clean it right first.

-Kevin

2. john159 macrumors regular

there are products out there espcially out there for this type of thing like goo goo gone i thihnk but i would just use windex... i heard it is unharmful to the ipod and it is pretty good at removing stickyness lol... i have removed my cover before and there has been no stikyness so i dont kno how you got it... the only thing i can think of how you got it sticky is if you pulled it off really fast or you only applied it a few days prior to your removal... but yeh windex should work.. alright man

3. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

hmmm windex sounds good. Windex + old t-shirt? Does that seem acceptable?

Kevin

4. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Woah, the Invisible Shield is sticky, as in like tape? I thought it was an attraction like a sheet of plastic on a TV screen-type thing...

5. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

yeah it's kinda sticky. you put soapy water on it so it slides around nicely. then it dries like that.

6. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

had to remove mine too, used some generic acrylic cleaner and a microfiber cloth. oh, and some elbow grease. worked fine.

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

It just seems EXACTLY like a car decal-- the soapy water application and whatnot. I'm personally relieved that I used the Martin Fields protector for my Nano. Gonna get one for my dad's 5G iPod for Christmas. :p

8. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Good glad it's not a big deal to do :)

9. tjcrebs macrumors newbie

Thank You

I removed the Invisible Shield from my 60-GB iPod, and was dismayed to see the gunk residue on the screen. Klear Screen cleaner didn't touch this stuff. Found your helpful forum, but had no acrylic cleaner handy. However, Windex spray cleaned the screen beautifully. Thanx for the great hint.