Cleaning a MacBook Screen

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bobber205, Aug 9, 2006.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

It's a little dirty.... ;)

What's the best way to clean a macbook's screen?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. T-Stex macrumors 6502

I just use a soft tissue and some water. I don't let my screen get very dirty, so this works just fine for me.

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I used the cleaning cloth that came with my PSP and also tried the cloth supplied with my Nokia N70.

Both worked GREAT for removing finger smudges with NO water or other substance applied.

5. thestaton macrumors 6502

6. _Matt macrumors 6502

A very clean cloth and water is suggested, but water does not remove anything. I prefer a little bit of liquid soap (VERY LITTLE) mixed with some water and rubbed on a nice clean cloth. Removes all of those annoying marks and finger greases.

Afterwards, go out and buy a gun and shoot the next person who places their finger to your precious screen. (Kidding of course, there are far better means for torturing those screen touchers.)

7. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Of course, I would have to turn that gun on myself. And that's not good. ;)

8. ironic23 macrumors 6502

Get iKlear. I bought it from Amazon which included a bottle of the solution, a microfiber cloth and some travel packs. It's worth it. I think it was 20 bucks. :D

9. Oofie macrumors regular

I use the same cloth included with my glasses and sunglasses dipped in water.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

the cleaning cloth that came with my cinema display works wonderfully.

11. FullmetalZ26 macrumors regular

I picked up a microfiber buffing cloth from Walmart, and it works great. It's the same type of stuff that comes with PSP's and such, except each cloth is about 12x18 inches, and a 3-pack is about 4 bucks. They're bright yellow, and are in the automotive section.

12. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I have, and regularly use iKlear, but in all honesty, when it's gone, I'll fill the bottle with water and probably won't notice the difference.

13. ExileinBlonde macrumors member

I bought some microfiber cloths and spray from Staples. I just can't bring myself to spend all that money on the iKlear.

14. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I've been using windex on a paper towel with my iBook and Powerbook for the past 3 years with no problems at all.

Why waste 20 bucks on iKlear/klearscreen? :confused:

15. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Another vote for iKlear. Considering the price of Apple hardware a few extra bucks for iKlear isn't something worth skimping on.

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Windex has been known to damage the coating on the LCDs. You've been lucky.

I've used plain old water and isopropyl alcohol (IPA) before with good success, but iKlear actually seems to do a bit better than those for me it a side-by-side test on the outside of my iBook. The fine scratches were less visible on the iKlear side...

B

17. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

Use only a dampened soft cloth like the one you would clean spectacles with.

18. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Yeah, just water and a cloth like a tshirt or something. The glossy screens clean up waaaay better than matte.

19. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I can't either. I also use a Cinema Display cloth... wish they sold those...

20. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

I have iKear travel packs, but don't use them since I've heard a bunch of horror stories on the Apple forum of people using this and scratching their screen up or getting liquid behind the screen.

21. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Damp lint free cloth with computer turned off. It works for me on my MBP and it comes right from Apple's Website.