Cleaning eMac Screen

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by sockeatingdryer, Aug 2, 2004.

1. macrumors regular

sockeatingdryer

Sometimes I think I ask more questions than a newb. :p

To other eMac owners (or ppl in the know):
    How do you clean your screen without any streaks? I just use wet paper towels and dry with a soft cloth. But I can't stop the streaks. They're not visible when the display's on, but it's annoying when it's off.

2. macrumors 6502a

windex.

works for me

3. macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Windex and some soft paper towels.

And when you clean the screen, be sure to spry the stuff on the paper towels and then wipe the screen. Try not to do what I did and spray the screen. :eek:

4. macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Heh, yeah, I sprayed the screen once.. I hope the runoff didn't mess anything up. :p

5. macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

I have heard Windex breaks down the scratch coating of displays... I NEVER USE it as I have had this expirience first hand... I always use plain water or minimaly soapy water and a white coton cloth.

6. macrumors 68000

After G

actually i just use an eyeglass cloth - no liquids and the display is nice and clean afterwards.

7. macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Get the 12" Notebook ScreensavRz by Radtech.us, add water and start rubbing. No chemical, no trash, no streak.

8. macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Urine.

I don't know why I said that--too many Steve O DVDs I guess.

Do not use glass cleaner such as Windex. The ammonia in it will damage the screen. Also, don't use paper towels because they're abrasive. Cleaners that are alcohol-based are okay. Wipe with a soft cloth. The same goes for eyeglasses.

Any electronics store will sell screen cleaner. Use that and something very soft--like those microfiber cloths or an eyeglass cloth--and you'll get good results.

9. thread starter macrumors regular

sockeatingdryer

I used Windex the first time, but I sprayed it on the paper towel; but nothing much has happened. I noticed a water-like pattern, but I think that's from the cleaning I had just done.

I didn't use Windex again after reading "don't use Windex," so I need to find a good, non-streak cleaner.

10. macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Wonderful. I may have potentially damaged my screen.

11. macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Don't be too hard on yourself. A spritz of Windex isn't going to blow holes in your eMac. Just spend the premium on cleaning chemicals and it'll all be okay. Personally, I use iKlear.