Cleaning HDD To Sell

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ebook, Oct 3, 2005.

1. ebook macrumors 6502

Okay, I'm getting ready to sell my iBook that I have used to keep track of both mine and my churches bank accounts and I would like to give it a really good scrubing before I put it up for sale (I've already been burnt by having one of my numbers stolent). So, will a clean install take care of what I want or is there some other product that I should use. Any help would be great!

2. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Be sure to backup all the files you want to save before doing any of the following since after you follow the steps you will NOT be able to recover any data. You can burn important information to a CD or a DVD or you can also backup data to another Hard Drive or computer.

How to erase the Hard Dirve and zero all data
    (These steps assume you have a Mac OS X 10.2.3 or later CD)

1. Insert the Mac OS X CD.
    2. Restart the computer.
    3. Immediately after the startup sound, press and hold the "C" key to start up from CD.
    4. When the Installer screen appears, do not click Continue. Instead, choose Installer > Open Disk Utilities.
    5. Select the hard drive to erase.
    6. Click the Erase tab.
    7. Select the volume format from the Volume Format pop-up menu.
    8. Click Options.
    9. Select the checkbox for "Zero all data".
    10. Click OK.
    11. Click Erase. (This may take a long time depending on the size of your hard drive)

More information can be found here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107437 which is where I copied the information from.

Good luck :D