Cleaning inside a BT keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by netdog, May 29, 2006.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I have all sorts of grunge in the clear tray under the keyboard. Is there any way to get the keyboard out so that I can clean it inside?

2. firsttube macrumors regular

firsttube

Yeah, actually. I have a wired and wireless apple keyboard, and you can pop all the keys out, soak them in dish detergent or something to get gunk out of those, and use various tools such as q-tips and such to clean the bottom part out. Quite efficient, in my experience. Just be sure to pop the shift and spacebar keys back with the metal in the right place. Not too complicated. I think there's a few other keys with metal wire in them too, same thing. I imagine any other keyboards are similar.

3. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

Firsttube - with what do you remove the keys on the wireless keyboard? Is there a certain type of tool? Do you get a little screwdriver under them?

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You shouldn't need to pop any key-caps to get under the keyboard. It's got three hex-head screws on the bottom. They're very small, and I've never found a tool the right size, but it looks like removing the screws should allow the keyboard to lift out of the transparent tray.