Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Apple support article recommends canned compressed air to clean dirt from the keyboard and I can tell it really helped mine to be more responsive. 2 keys are still not fully responsive and I understand that I can try to lift those keys but I am afraid to break them. I don't have an Apple store within driving distance. Would you guys recommend using a vacuum?

Last edited:

Mikel30

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2004
Don't try to take the keys off. I made that mistake with my 2015 MB, and ended up breaking pins on the butterfly mechanism. Had to send it off to get repaired.

Last edited:

cursedearth

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2011
I've heard using a vacuum can short circuit the internals of an electrical device due to static. Not sure if this is a fact or a myth. Leaning towards the latter .

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I've heard using a vacuum can short circuit the internals of an electrical device due to static. Not sure if this is a fact or a myth. Leaning towards the latter .

If the vacuum has a metal tube and you touch the internals, then it's possible as the metal conducts electricity and can thus short the circuit. However, if you use a plastic header on the vacuum or make sure not to physically touch anything, it shouldn't short anything. None of this applies to the MB though as you're only cleaning the outside of the MB, not the internals.

where is it

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
England
Don't try to take the keys off. I made that mistake with my 2015 MB, and ended up breaking pins on the butterfly mechanism. Had to send it off to get repaired.

You took the keys of your MBP off?

Why did that seem a good idea?
[doublepost=1463474111][/doublepost]Just use a nice soft, brand new, decent pile microfibre cloth.

Nice and gently use it to clean any dust or rubbish away.

If you have Detol cleanser spray (the clear stuff, not kitchen cleaner), then a quick spray on a microfibre and a wipe over the screen, keyboard and outer casing does a perfect job. Not too much mind, less is more.

Used that on all my Macs with perfect results - No streaking or residue!

Mikel30

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2004
You took the keys of your MBP off?

Why did that seem a good idea?

I've always been comfortable working my Macs. I've done tons of repairs and upgrades. And old scissor mechanism keys can be taken off and put back on with relative ease. Don't see why you're giving me grief when I'm trying to prevent someone else from making a mistake. Especially when they contemplated "lifting up" the keys.

And for what it's worth, "a nice soft brand new cloth" is not going to remove crud stuck under the keys, which is what they're describing.

Reactions: dtjay7

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Just put the brush on the end of the Hoover and go at it. You won't kill anything.

where is it

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
England
I've always been comfortable working my Macs. I've done tons of repairs and upgrades. And old scissor mechanism keys can be taken off and put back on with relative ease. Don't see why you're giving me grief when I'm trying to prevent someone else from making a mistake. Especially when they contemplated "lifting up" the keys.

And for what it's worth, "a nice soft brand new cloth" is not going to remove crud stuck under the keys, which is what they're describing.

I really can't imaging there'd be much 'crud' under a Macbooks keys.

And the soft microfibre trick does work. Been doing it for years and it has saved me prising my keys off clearly.

Mikel30

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2004
I really can't imaging there'd be much 'crud' under a Macbooks keys.

The keys are not sealed. Crud can and does find its way in there.

And the soft microfibre trick does work. Been doing it for years and it has saved me prising my keys off clearly.

Wiping the top of keyboard will remove crud underneath the keys? That's like claiming you can do maintenance on your car's engine by polishing the hood.

Last edited:

where is it

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
England
The keys are not sealed. Crud can and does find its way in there.

Wiping the top of keyboard will remove crud underneath the keys? That's like claiming you can do maintenance on your car's engine by polishing the hood.

I'm preventing the 'crud' forming in the first place.

To use your analogy: A bit like washing and waxing your car rather than letting the dirt, salt and grime build up and rusting it away.

Moving on from cleaning disagreements.

I'm curious. How do you remove the keys of a Macbook?
[doublepost=1463519252][/doublepost]
How can you be so sure? Ever taken the keys out?

Do you worry about 'crud' underneath your keys?

Mikel30

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2004
I'm preventing the 'crud' forming in the first place.

To use your analogy: A bit like washing and waxing your car rather than letting the dirt, salt and grime build up and rusting it away.

Moving on from cleaning disagreements.

Unless you're wiping the keyboard between every word, I fail to see how you can realistically get rid of every crumb. Given enough time (remember, mine is a year old), something will inevitably find its way in there.

iFixit has a guide that shows how to do it. However, in the last picture you'll notice that a tiny plastic pin in the lower left corner of the butterfly mechanism is missing. That's exactly what happened to me. And upon attempting to re-install the key, even more snapped off.

cursedearth

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2011
[doublepost=1463519252][/doublepost]

Do you worry about 'crud' underneath your keys?

Not sure why you keep quoting the word crud but yes I do worry about it getting underneath my keys; mainly because it has in the past .

where is it

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
England
Not sure why you keep quoting the word crud but yes I do worry about it getting underneath my keys; mainly because it has in the past .

I didn't realise there were quite so many people into taking keyboard keys off in the search for 'crud'.

I have been using keyboards for over 30 years and the performance of any of those keyboards has never degraded to the point where I needed to examine and clean the underside of the keys.

Sorry, I just find it amusing.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Schermafbeelding 2016-05-18 om 11.42.47.png

Step 25 on: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Retina+MacBook+2015+Teardown/39841

It's possible, but I wouldn't take the risk like you said. Seems hard to put back together again.

cursedearth

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2011
I didn't realise there were quite so many people into taking keyboard keys off in the search for 'crud'.

I have been using keyboards for over 30 years and the performance of any of those keyboards has never degraded to the point where I needed to examine and clean the underside of the keys.

Sorry, I just find it amusing.

Find what amusing? The word crud ?

where is it

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
England
Find what amusing? The word crud ?

The idea of people pulling their keyboards apart to clean them.

It's just asking for trouble. There must be broken butterfly mechanisms littering the land after they have been pulled apart.

But each to there own I guess.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
What's up with the word 'crud'? (o_0)

Old Apple Keyboards, especially the transparent one with the white keys had beautiful LEGO-like keys that came off very easily and were also easy to reattach.

There is a lot of [strike]crud[/strike] err.. dirt in the keyboard that builds up over the years (dead skin, hair, food crumbs, crud). You wouldn't want a second hand MacBook if you couldn't clean it.

The dirt could also fall out right in your eye when you hold the MacBook upside down above your head. Just imagine that.

Last edited:

where is it

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
England
What's up with the word 'crud'? (o_0)

Old Apple Keyboards, especially the transparent one with the white keys had beautiful LEGO-like keys that came off very easily and were also easy to reattach.

There is a lot of [strike]crud[/strike] err.. dirt in the keyboard that builds up over the years (dead skin, hair, food crumbs, crud). You wouldn't want a second hand MacBook if you couldn't clean it.

The dirt could also fall out right in your eye when you hold the MacBook right side down above your head. Just imagine that.

Seriously?

where is it

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
England
Dirt builds up in your keyboard which can be found disgusting? Yes. Dirt falling in your eye? Not really no.

Think I'll choose to ignore the dirt under my keys.
[doublepost=1463646771][/doublepost]
View attachment 631868
Step 25 on: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Retina+MacBook+2015+Teardown/39841

It's possible, but I wouldn't take the risk like you said. Seems hard to put back together again.

That just looks painful to look at.

I'm all up for general maintenance, screws, bolts and the sort, but that is just levering things apart in a haphazard manner.

Warranty voided. Apple Care wasted. Keyboard probably busted. Waste of time.

Mikel30

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2004
Think I'll choose to ignore the dirt under my keys.

The whole point is that it can affect performance. If you look at the very first post by the original poster, they mention unresponsive keys. The travel distance on this keyboard is so small that even small crumbs can get in the way of normal operation. If you think we're cleaning them to keep the underside pretty, then you've missed the point of this thread.

Last edited:

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
The whole point is that it can affect performance. If you look at the very first post by the original poster, they mention unresponsive keys. The travel distance on this keyboard is so small that even small crumbs can get in the way of normal operation. If you think we're cleaning them to keep the underside pretty, then you've missed the point of this thread.

This is correct and I can confirm that cleaning helps keyboard performance on this particular Macbook. Keys travel or lack thereof is my main beef with Macbook 12

izzyfanto

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2011
I'm confused why people have issues with keyboard UFOs. Is it that common for people to eat while typing, or not wash there hands before using their MB, or hold stuff over their MB or rub dandruff into it??? I have never had a problem with any of my MB keyboards because I treat it very carefully.

The dirt could also fall out right in your eye when you hold the MacBook upside down above your head. Just imagine that.
You gotta be trolling this thread, or you're crazy

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
just curious.. after a year using macbook 12... is your keyboard becomes shiny?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.