cleaning might mouse/how to take it apart?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by charlestrippy, Sep 24, 2006.

1. charlestrippy macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

so the little track ball on the mighty mouse is being lame (not scrolling down) -

is there a way to clean it? take mouse apart? or something so i can get into it?

2. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Before you possibly destroy your mouse, have you tried blasting some compressed air into it to dislodge whatever is causing the problem?

3. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

yeah, it still isnt working...
    you know the slight "clicking" noise it makes when you move the ball up/down/left/right? -- well it does it on all the directions except down....

4. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

the users manual says something like getting a lint-free cloth, turning the mouse upside down, and vigorously move the ball (with the cloth) in all directions. i used my shirt and it worked for me. but dont be too gentle because it wont fix it.

5. nitynate macrumors 6502a

What works for me is getting a shirt, laying it down on a table and pushing the mouse/ball HARD back and fourth a bunch of times.

Fast and hard is the way to do it.

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

[Link]

7. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

It's funny I was just doing this to my Mighty Mouse when I saw this thread.

Yes or getting a piece of printer paper and doing the samething. You'll probably see some 'lint' come out along with a little 'trail'. Don't be afraid to a little rough with it.

Works wonders :)

8. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

i tried all that and then some - still nothing -- its making the "clicking" noise as its moving a little more but nothing is scrolling :(
    should i take it to the apple "genius" bar? or can i take it apart?

9. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

if you take it apart and destroy it, it's your fault. if the genius destroys it, it's their fault. apple isn't going to give you a new MM if you break yours. they will if they break it.

take it to a genius and have them clean it or give you a new one (if they'll even do that).

10. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

The same thing is constantly happening to me - My mighty mouse refuses to scroll down. No matter how many times I clean it with a cloth, or run it hard upside-down on a table, it still gets jammed up.

Here's what I did, based on a tip I found in a blog. Cut a small strip of scotch (cellophane) tape no wider than the mouse ball. Tape the edge of it to the mouse ball, and while holding the edge of the tape in one hand, push the tape into the mouse. Let it wind around the mouseball, all the while holding the edge of the tape so it doesn't completely wind around the ball. Pull it out, and do this in several directions. If you're lucky like me, you'll find the minescule bits of lint and dust that get stuck below the ball, preventing it from scrolling down.

After doing this a few times, my mouse finally scrolls down again. It still gets jammed up once in a while though, especially with scrolling down, which accounts for most scrolling action with the average user. I hope the next version of mighty mouse is more resilient to dust getting stuck there.

11. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I just got the problem and tried the vigorous upside down rubbing with lint-free cloth (polyester shirt), and it seems to have fixed it. Thanks!

12. donvader macrumors newbie

donvader

I worked!

Hey, it worked!!! I'm going to do this to every one in the department. I always just switched them out with mice from other computers in the department that aren't used as much on my shift.

Thanx!!!

13. SteveRT327 macrumors newbie

Interesting I've always used alcohol

No, drinking didn't help..

Isopropyl on a tissue rubbed vigorously across the ball gets it going. But, the time between treatments is getting shorter and shorter now. Might take the trip to the genius bar..

14. johnhw macrumors 6502

Does Apple even support this thing (Heck, I don't even know if they still sell it)? The Magic Mouse has been out for 2 years already..

I suggest taking it apart, you'll never know there is LOADS of dirt inside.