Cleaning my Keyboard

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Doug55, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Doug55 macrumors newbie

Feb 7, 2007

I am just wondering how do I properly clean my keyboard? Any how do I remove the keys? Do I just pull them up, or will that break them?

2. wizwaz3 macrumors 6502a

Nov 4, 2006
    Northern Arizona
    I've personally never done it, but there's a similar forum here, and they give suggestions on what to do. Hope this helps! :)
  3. EM87 macrumors regular

Nov 8, 2006
    Brisbane, Australia
    I get a lot of animal hair in mine all the time and all I do is put the brush fixture on the vacuum cleaner and vacuum it.
  4. cgratti macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2004
    Central Pennsylvania, USA
    You may think this is crazy but I have cleaned PC keyboards by putting them in the dishwasher and running them through a cycle, with NO soap.

The key is that you MUST let it dry for 4-5 days before plugging it in. The keyboards come out super clean and if you had sticky keys from Juice/soda they are not sticky anymore. It works wonders.

Be sure and not use any soap and to tie the cord so it doesnt get hooked on any moving parts in the dishwasher. I haven't tried it with a Mac keyboard but I dont see how it would hurt.
  5. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    If you're using an Apple Keyboard or Apple Wireless Keyboard, iSkin makes the iSkin ProTouch XT, which is really nice (feels better than the laptop ones).

I've been selling them on eBay for a while -- they're very popular and people really LOVE them.

If you eat/drink/have hairy pets near your keyboard, it's a great investment. Quiets your typing too if you like to pull all nighters (or late nighters).
  6. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2006
    if you have an Apple keyboard you can just pull them off with your fingers, or if thats too hard, use a butter knife. Just remember to keep the keys in order....dont switch up your letter keys!:)