Cleaning out HD for sale

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by reasonG5, Sep 18, 2004.

1. reasonG5 macrumors newbie

Sep 4, 2004
    This topic has come up a bit but I can't find the thread.
    Selling CRT iMac and I want to clean out everything for the new owner.
    I still have the OS9 restore disks and want to bring that back to its original state and then put a fresh copy of Panther(I have those disks as well) on the other start-up disk.
    How to make sure everything is really cleaned out? Do not want my bank info to be hiding in some temp file somewhere.
    Thanks in advance
  2. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    when you install panther, there will be an option to zero the drive, or something along those lines. that will properly erase the data as to not able to recover.
  3. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

You can have it do an 8 way overwrite, this obliterates your data so their is a completely clean install.
  4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...yes, that defintely will get rid of the data - it also takes a helluva long time! If you are worried about your "sensitive" stuff, why not delete those files before you reformat, then use the "secure delete" when emptying the trash, then zero the drive....oh yeah!
  5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    If you have a PC nearby, and feel up to it, you can download software called "KillDisk" that can zero your drive (free version) or do Department of Defense level security if you buy it. If you are parinoid...REJOICE!
  6. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Mar 19, 2004
    A series of tubes
    If you're really paranoid, any or all of the below will work:

• Barrel of really pure, strong acid
    • Sledge hammer
    • Explosives
    • Industrial-strength crusher/grinder
    • Cutting torch

If you're somewhat paranoid:

• A commercial/shareware disk wiping application

Physically destroying the drive is most effective (and the most fun), but you'll need to replace the drive with a new one.

Disk Utility should be good enough if you use its multiple-pass zero/rewrite options. :cool: