Cleaning Powerbook palm rest

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by yOyOYoo, Mar 30, 2005.

1. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

My powerbook palm rest is getting very dirty. It has blotches that simply can't be washed out. I've only tried using a damp wet cloth.

Has my sweaty/ greasy palms eaten through the aluminum?

Is there any hope to clean it or wax it or buff it out??

btw I've only had this powerbook for less than 1 month!!!! But I use it everywhere I go and the wrist area is starting to look nasty!!!

2. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

You might want to think about getting a keyboard/palm rest protector/cover.

3. feelthefunk9 macrumors newbie

Iklear

Just buy an Iklear kit (spray bottle and chamois cloth), about $20.

4. yOyOYoo thread starter macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

I always thought the IKlear kit was for ibooks and for the screen only? no??

5. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

yeah, mine is getting dirty, too.

That's why I use an external keyboad and mouse. But can't when traveling.

So damp cloth doesn't work?

6. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Or, you can use one of those screen protector for Palm. It does not have a glue; so it does not harm the aluminum (that screen protector goes to Palm's touch screen so it should be safe for PB's aluminum palm rest. I put one of them at each of palm rest areas of my PBs. My 12" has the best fit as its palm rest areas are small than a 15" PB. Also it is clear and does not ruin the PB's look.

7. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Nope, iKlear can be used on anything, and it gives it that new computer look. :)

8. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

I'm going to have to get a bottle of iKlear from my new PowerBook. I've had it for exactly a week and the palmrests are nasty. I have a screen protector from Other World Computing that I put on the keyboard when I close the screen. I think iKlear is kind of pricey and I'd have to use it every day so I hope there's a cheaper alternative for a screen cleaner. Anyone use anything other than iKlear?

9. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

They say if you apply it once a week you'll get best results... really the best way to keep it clean is to just make sure your hands are clean.

10. F/reW/re macrumors 6502

F/reW/re

11. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Hey! Are you saying I have dirty hands!!

(looking at my hands now)

Oh...

:D

12. diehldun macrumors 6502a

Is the palm rest of ANY PowerBook really aluminum? I just realized that! (The palm rest on my 17" PB looks more like plastic). I wish that Apple had used the more expensive/durable looking aluminum-exterior wrap-around (ie: around screen, bottom/superdrive area, etc), instead of this plastic-sounding/looking palm-rest area. I thought only the mouse button on the trackpad was aluminum.

Anyways, getting back on track... I just bought the $19 iKlear for my PB (Palm rest was getting VERY dirty, and so were the keys on the keyboard; they were turning black), so I decided to give it a try; GET IT! It made a HUGE DIFFERENCE (cosmetically); looked like it was fresh from the Apple Store, like new. It's definitely worth it. I think I'm going to use it approx. 1-2 times a month.

That one thing I don't like about the silver/aluminum color of the Powerbooks vs. Dells... they look a lot nicer, but they show TONS more dirt and grime. Maybe the Ti-Books covered up the keyboard-dirt less?

13. Jsmit macrumors regular

I work on a farm so my hands are not always the cleanest in the world. I try to wash them before using my PowerBook, but as with everything sometimes you forget or don't think they are really that dirty. Anyway, iKlear has kept my PB looking like new (for about 6 monthes). I use it once or twice a month. Whenever the screen starts looking a little dirty, I clean the entire PB with iKlear. I can't recommend it enough.

-Smit

14. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

To keep the screen clean i would recommend ..
    The Crystal Film
    http://www.powersupportusa.com/prod...php?category=pb
    Right off the bat... it looked amazing. It makes the PB look like it has a reflective coating on the screen and it sparkles. It kind of looks like a screen protector for cell phones except it does not stick on and it shines. It can be easily removed. $42US well spent

15. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

it depends if its dirt then it will come out but it could be pitting, i've never heard of pitting on a powerbook that new but yeah they can react to your skin / sweat my 12" did that so I made little pads for under my hands and now only my fingers touch the computer ...

http://e-scribe.com/misc/aluminum/

16. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

When I use my PB, I will wipe it off every hour or so. It is new so I am very OCD about keeping it clean. A little water and soft towel does the job for me...:)

17. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

i ordered a screensavRz from RadTech.us and it came with an alcohol wipe and instructions on how to clean the screen. Well, when i got done i was like, hey, i wonder if this will work on the aluminum. Low and behold it worked like a charm. I usually keep the ScreensavRz on the PB keyboard while it is on its iCurve and i type on a BT keyboard a use a Logitech mouse.

18. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I guess this only happens with some people's sweat chemistry? :confused:

19. hkala macrumors member

20. skp574 macrumors 6502

I took my one month old PB onto a building site the other day to programme a Lutron lighting system. It took less than five minutes for it to be covered in plaster dust. Whenever possible I tried to shut the lid so dust didn't collect between the keys.

I now have grimey palm rests, oops. Hey but it got a load of looks on site! :D

21. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

what about iClean? I'm not sure of the difference between iClean or iKlear. I bought a bottle of iClean and it works great on the screen. But I'm not sure if you can use it on the PB itself. I'd use water, but I'm too paranoid of having dampness on the laptop.

22. hkala macrumors member

i have iclean as well and as far as i know iclean is only for digital displays. iklear appears to be an all purpose thang!

23. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I've used iKlear on the trackpad plenty of times, it works everywhere. But don't eat it. :)

24. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I have iKlear still in the original package as I have not had an opportunity to use it (my PBs are all clean and scratch free). 3 air cleaners running at my apartment and there are not much dust on my desk either. After cleaning your PB or iBook with iKlear, how does it feel? Does it have a sticky feel to it? I noticed some other cleaners tend to leave some filmy thing on the cleaned surface wich may or may not dry out.

25. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

No, it really does feel great, it resists fingerprints and scuffing a little more, but not sticky by any means. Smooth as silk. :D