Cleaning PowerBook Screen

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by CompUser, Aug 5, 2005.

1. CompUser Guest

My PowerBook's screen is looking pretty dusty and has some finger prints on it (thanks Mom!).

What should I clean the LCD with. Water? Windex?

I don't want to make the mistake some idiot made at my school. They cleaned the screens on the PowerMac G4s monitors with an abrasive cleaner and now they annoying to use.
  2. xFU3Lx macrumors member

May 24, 2005
    I use eyeglass cleaner or water, and a microfiber cloth.
  3. Leareth macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2004
    iklear or omniclean are the best, and you can use them on the rest of the PB too.
    never ever use windex, takes of the protective coating on the PB screen and leaves cloudy streaks.
    damp cloth is ok to use but does not get rid of grease from fingertips, so good for dried on coffee and coke, but not chip grease... :rolleyes:
  4. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

Jul 26, 2005
    I second the vote on microfiber cloth for cleaning.

Here's an excerpt from the PowerBook manual:
    Cleaning Your PowerBook Display
    To clean your PowerBook screen, do the following:
    Shut down your PowerBook.
    Dampen a clean, soft, lint-free cloth or paper with water only and wipe the screen.
    Do not spray liquid directly on the screen.
  5. CompUser thread starter Guest

Thanks everyone.

I'll try a damp lint free cloth.
  6. Bern macrumors 68000

Nov 10, 2004

iKlear is one of the best products around for safely cleaning your Mac and it's endorsed by Apple too.
  7. Switzermac macrumors regular

Jun 28, 2005
    I just got iKlear but 3m makes a similarproduct which is also great
  8. nsutt22 macrumors regular

May 5, 2005
    Another great tool...

Rubbing alchahol works geat too with a microfiber cloth. It gets out the grease and dries instantly. It works excellent!

17" Powerbook 1.67 ghz - 1.5 gig ram
    128 ATI 9700
    100 GB HD
    19" Dell W1900 LCD TV
  9. mauly macrumors 6502

Aug 21, 2003
    Manchester, England
    Will the methods above work the same on an iMac G5! or are the screens different and need to be cleaned a different way?
  10. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    DON'T use alcohol :eek: - it can damage the protective / anti glare coating on the screen. Water or LCD cleaning solutions only.

11. rkristich macrumors member

Jul 27, 2005
    Punta Gorda, Florida
    I have a cloth from RadTech that I use (Link). It's kind of expensive for a cleaning cloth, but I love it. I just dip in a little bottled water (too many minerals in our tap water), and it does a great job of cleaning my screen and the rest of my PB too. It also looks nice when draped over the keys, especially if you get the grey PowerBook one. You can also use it dry to wipe off dust and some marks.

Of course, if you don't want to pay $15 for a cleaning cloth, just go and get one of those little cloths that people clean their glasses with. If you live near a Wal-Mart with an optical center, you should be able to get one for a really cheap price.
  12. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    yep, or windex for that matter.
  13. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    I have some LCD screen cleaning wipes (individual one use packets) and while they seem to work well I noticed that they leave a very slight residue behind at the spots where you 'turn around' your swipes. It's very faint, and not really noticeable unless the display is off and you have a light on in front of it.

I can't remember which drawer they are in or I would tell you what brand they are.
  14. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

May 18, 2005
    I too recommend iKlear. It is much safer then a 50:50 alcohol/water mix or Ammonia containing Windex. It is alcohol and ammonia free so it will not harm your screens coatings.