Cleaning Programs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nerve, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Nerve macrumors member

Can anyone inform me of any security and cleaning programs for mac, to keep everything running smoothly and secure.

(Im new to mac)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Not needed, mate. :)

After installing apps or system updates, it can be a good idea to repair permissions from Disk Utility (in the Utilities folder). While inside this app, it can sometimes be a good idea to verify your hard drive but this shouldn't be needed very often. Security apps are largely unnecessary on the Mac. Welcome to OSX. :cool:

3. Nerve thread starter macrumors member

What about if certain files become corrupt or my system slows down? The disk utility fixes that?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's pretty vague. OSX won't slow down over time as much as Windows does because it doesn't rely on the registry for its apps. Depending on how a file is corrupted, Disk Utility can help in terms of realigning permissions and repairing disk file systems. What app did you use in Windows (assuming that's where you're coming from)? Most likely, you won't need an alternative in OSX.

5. diametric macrumors regular

diametric

MJ, at least give some recommendations. Google for OnyX. Free must-have maintenance app for OS X.

Hah! I've said that twice today.

6. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Ya I've never had a problem with my Mac, and the only maintenance I do is a restart and an Onyx repair permissions and "optimize" whatever that means...
    I do those two things on Sunday...:eek:
    And all is always well....

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I never recommend OnyX and I don't use it myself. OnyX is excellent and very powerful, but can bring a system to its knees if a user starts experimenting too much with it. Most of the useful functions are automated in OSX already. I've run into too many cases of Macs breaking as a result of user tweaking in OnyX to be confident enough to recommend it. :eek: