Cleaning Screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by The Senator, Apr 14, 2006.

1. The Senator macrumors regular

The Senator

how do I clean my screen on my MacBook Pro, like what do I use?, would water and a cloth be fine???

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

There's a product called iKlear that a lot of people around here use, but I just use Windex wipes. They work a treat not only on the screen, but on the aluminum as well.

3. thecheda macrumors 6502

iklear

get iklear. i just got a bottle and i use the lens cloth from my eyewear to wipe the screen.

4. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Hey-

I have iKlear too and I love it, great cleaner, comes with a screen cloth.

On the Apple Store Online. :)

5. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

Won't using Windex eventually wear through the protective coating or something like that on your LCD? I've heard several times not to use Windex for cleaning LCD screens.

6. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

i have also been told to not use windex. I have been using iklear for my iMac and my LCDTV and it works greeaat :D

7. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

8. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

9. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Clean cotton cloth (old tshirt or sock) and water. Not dripping, lightly drag (no pressure) over a section of the lcd then using a clean section of cloth procede to the next area of the lcd. Repeat as needed.

Cleaning my astronomy gear has made me a bit obsessive when it comes to cleaning anything resembling optics.

PS. I've read that the ammonia (?) in Windex will yellow the plastic lcd screen over time, so I figure why chance it.

10. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

Yes, the ammonia in windex and similar glass cleaners will strip off the anti-glare coating on the screen, cause any plastic elements to yellow and can disolve some of the glues that are used in the screen.

A damp cloth works well, but I've always had problems with streaks. I've found iKlear to be great, but make sure that you get a microfibre cloth either with the iKlear or from a eye glasses/camera shop to dry the screen. I used the iKlear disposable cloths for a while and kept having problems with streaks (but that was better than a dirty screen) then I started using a microfibre cloth to dry the screen and have found that I can now clean my screen and powerbook case to a factory fresh condition with ease.

11. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Another vote for iklear.

I use iklear as well. I bought a massive bottle off ebay for like $20 that had cloths, and wipes..

ammonia (NH3-) has negative ions...thats why it damages lcd's