Cleaning the LCD screen on a PowerBook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by thomasp, May 31, 2006.

1. thomasp macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2004
    I've done a quick search of the MRGuides but couldn't find anything on this...

My PowerBook screen is getting pretty dirty with general yuk and fingerprints (even though I yell at people for touching my screen!). What is the best way to clean the LCD screen and remove all these marks from it? Just wiping it with a soft cloth won't do. Are there any recommended techniques and products?

Thanks for your help :)
  2. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    You can buy LCD screen cleaner and cleaning pads from just about any stationery store. I've used that on my 3-year old PowerBook pretty much since I bought it, and find it works great.

I see you're in the UK. Rymans do a good selection if you're close to one of those.
  3. dcv macrumors G3

May 24, 2005
    I use iKlear on my macs. You can buy a kit from the Apple Store - think it's about £15 to £20 which sounds expensive, but it comes with a huge bottle of spray that'll last for years, a nice soft cleaning cloth and some individual screen wipes etc.
  4. btollenaar macrumors newbie

May 26, 2006
    I use iKlear too.

However the manual says to use a damp cloth. Which I've tried and works well too.
  5. chosenwolf macrumors 6502a

Feb 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Another iKlear user here. I actually just bought the kit yesterday and it came with a cloth. It is amazing, both for the aluminum and the screen on my 17" Macbook Pro. I highly recommend this product!
  6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    I use the micro-cloth that I got with my Ray-Ban sunglasses with a little bit of water.
  7. exeterbohemian macrumors regular

Jan 10, 2006
    i use paper towels and water. works like a charm. no streaks, no scratching... perfect.
  8. rob5 macrumors regular

Oct 5, 2003
    I picked up a 'notebook & LCD cleaner' kit for $5 from Staples - worked flawlessly on my MacBook. Not sure if it'd work on the PowerBook since it has a matte screen.