Cleaning the new iMac glass

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jpod89, Jan 12, 2008.

1. macrumors member

I've searched and found a 1-page topic on it, but it wasn't really that great of an explanation.

Can I use glass cleaners like Windex to clean the screen? Any special techniques or tips? Things I should watch out for?

I have a somewhat OCD problem that requires me to keep all my tech gear in the condition it was out-of-the-box for as long as humanly possible =(

Thanks ahead of time!

2. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I use Windex on normal LCDs and haven't ever had any issues. I imagine it'll be absolutely fine on the glass iMac screens too. I spray the Windex onto a cloth rather than directly onto the screen, though.

3. macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Well, since the manual for my iMac specifically says to dampen the cloth that came with it (or a clean, soft, lint-free cloth) with "water only" that's exactly what I do. It cleans it perfectly. Yes, the display is glass so I don't see how a glass cleaner might damage it in any way so long as you don't spray directly on the display.

For me personally, since water only does the trick and that's what Apple recommends I am not going to use anything else.

4. macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I can definitely recommend against this practice. Windex contains ammonia which can wreak major havoc long term on LCDs.

5. macrumors member

I have the same OCD... I was wondering about windex as well. I've stuck to wet cloth so far though.

6. macrumors G3

You're all wrong. You're supposed to clean the screen with the mouse pad that came with it.

7. macrumors 68020

phungy

Haha, great answer.

I use The Ultimate Cloth. I don't have an iMac but I use it to clean the invisible skin and screen protector on the Macbook. Works awesome. You can request a free sample too. Oh and I don't use any sort of cleaner :)

8. macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Absolutely and a mild tint on the screen can be permanently damaged.

9. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I've heard that said many times but have never noticed any long term effect from years of doing it. Maybe I'm just lucky. :)

10. macrumors 68000

brop52

It's glass. The LCD is beneath the glass. What's the difference. Clean it how you want just don't get water under like I did with tap water and the microfiber cloth given with the computer. (Not sure how it happened but I bought some Air Dusters, Suction Cups, and a Monster ScreenClean Display Cleaning Kit.

I should get them around Tuesday to clean the residue dried minerals on the inside of the glass at the very top. The duster is so I don't go crazy by having some dust under the glass.

11. macrumors member

JohanCruyff

Same problem here.
    I can't put it in my 24" Alu iMac in my washing machine. :(

Attached Files:

12. g-7
    macrumors 6502

g-7

You have to upgrade your washing machine to an Apple-certified model.

13. macrumors member

JohanCruyff

My next model will be this one.

Attached Files:

14. macrumors 6502

I think i've read windex can cause problems if your glass has anit-glare or reflective stuff on it.

Your suppose to use a damp lint free cloth. No paper towels because they can scratch glass.

15. macrumors regular

From what I've heard, Windex leaves smudges and causes a light haze on the screen. I picked up some LCD cleaner at Staples for $9.99.

I also can't stress enough to people NOT to use cotton towels to wipe their screens. Just like on a car's clearcoat, cotton leaves thousands of little hairline scratches. I only use microfibre cloths.

16. macrumors 6502a

Oh good god. NO ONE TAKE THIS ADVICE. USE A LIGHTLY DAMP MICROFIBER CLOTH, THAT IS IT. The things come with a microfiber for a reason, and no it's not a mousepad.

17. macrumors 6502a

Paper is not going to scratch glass. How often do you put newspaper/magazines on a glass coffee table. Use your brain.

18. macrumors 6502

Micro Scratches. Do the research using your brain !

19. macrumors 68000

brop52

For the first time since my iMac was new it is now clean thanks to the Monster ScreenClean.

It is alcohol free, so I don't see what anyone is worrying about. The best part is the large microfiber cloth they give you to use. Great reviews on amazon.

20. macrumors 6502

21. macrumors 68000

brop52

It has to be deionized though. Otherwise you end up like me.

22. macrumors 68020

bluedoggiant

Boo!

I give  a -100 on this one.

So I took my  cloth to the bathroom, and dampened it with the water from the sink. Went back into my bedroom, and wiped my screen with the DAMP  cloth. It left water droplets ALL OVER THE GLASS!!! How annoying.

So I wiped it with my shirt, dried up the  cloth, and spent 15 minutes, scratching the screen with the  cloth to get the water droplet marks (I already dried it with my shirt) off of it. All is well until...

I have a light next to my imac, shines right onto the screen, I don't notice the glare, but when i turn off the imac display, there are smudges ALL OVER IT. and the light is shining right on the smudges. I spent countless hours trying to get the smudges of with the  cloth, didn't work. Whenever I though i was successful, If I look at the imac screen from a different view, the smudges appear again, they are there no matter what, they won't come off. And they are visible when the display is switched off, when the imac looks the sexiest:D

Any thoughts?

23. macrumors 6502

I use Monster ScreenClean and the MicroFiber cloth that it came with. Works on all my electronic devices with screens.

24. macrumors 68000

brop52

Minerals give you a dried residue. You need to use deionized/distilled water.

The cloth they give you is terrible. It gives you hundreds of little fibers all over the screen. The cleaner itself is good though.

25. macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

You obviously put too much water. There should not be enough to leave drops, thus "dampen" is the idea.

Mistake number 2 (and the biggest one): You should never wipe the glass with anything other than the microfiber cloth. That is how you end up with streaks and, depending on the material of what you are using to wipe, even scratches on the glass surface.

You should have dried the microfiber cloth sufficiently so that it could be used for the drying.

I apply a very small amount of water to one corner of the Apple cloth and then gently wipe the screen with it. Then I immediately clean the screen with the dry parts.

I have one but I don't think you are going to like it. :(

It sounds to me like your shirt has scratched the glass panel. I was going to suggest you repeat the cleaning process as I outlined above and that should have done the job. That the "smudges" persist is not heartening.

Maybe you should take it by an Apple Store. Even if you crack a 24" glass panel they aren't as expensive as one might think. Someone in another thread who had his glass panel replaced recently in a London Apple Store mentioned that it only cost him $36:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4893193&postcount=23

If it is just smudges and not anything physically wrong with the panel you should be able to clean it with just water and the microfiber. You didn't use anything other than water, right?? No Windex, etc