Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nawlins

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2003
Chicago
I have a few light smudges on the screen of my 12" Powerbook (first generation) and was wondering what's the best way to clean it without damaging the computer?

Thanks

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
Use a cleaner that is specific to LCD screens. They are designed not to scratch your display. You can find some at Office Max and others I'm sure.

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
I use a 3M ScotchBrite High Performance Cloth. Relatively inexpensive at Costco. I'm sure they're available other places. Haven't had any problems with scratching or anything.

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
A periodic wipe with a damp tissue does ok too. That and a piece of copy paper when the lid goes down and you should be good for a clean screen. Oh yes, and a big stick for the jerkoes who touch your screen.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Originally posted by billyboy
Oh yes, and a big stick for the jerkoes who touch your screen.
Ha!:D :cool: That's outstanding!

I've never understood why people need to refer to something on-screen by fingering the actual screen -- didn't anyone ever tell them, "Hey, you know, it's not a window to another dimension. It's just a video image, not the real thing!"

Why they think I'll pay more attention to what they're saying is beyond me: could it be, "If I leave a slimy fingerprint on the screen, everyone will remember exactly where I want the change to be"?!

Grrrr....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.