Cleaning Your Laptop Screen...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by noahsnyc, Aug 9, 2004.

1. noahsnyc macrumors regular

Hello -

What's the general concensus on cleaning your PB's LCD screen on a rather regular (once or twice a week) basis? It seems that no matter what I do, little finger-smudges and whatnot just keep appearring.

Do we all agree that a soft, damp towel followed by a light, dry buffing works best?

Any simple yet unorthodox ideas for keeping the screen shiny and new?

Thanks
    N.

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

I'd suggest cleaning wipes specifically made for LCD screens. Don't ever try a standard window cleaner.

As for keeping it clean, that's tougher. Obviously try not to handle the monitor so much, as dirt will stick to your oily (not a personal attack ;)) fingerprints.

I wouldn't put too much effort into avoiding dirt, just using the wipes on a fairly frequest basis should keep it looking nice.

3. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

Yeah, DO NOT USE Windex or any other cleaners with ammonia.

I use Plasma/LCD tv cleaner made by Monster Cable.

But what you should be looking for is non-dripping spray with lint free, non abrasive cloth.

Or get a screen protector then just wipe it down with wet towel.

4. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

I use a microfiber cloth which I wet and then squeeze as dry as possible. I leave half dry to buff the screen after using the wet side. (So, in a word, yes).

Some people recommend iKlear for LCDs. If you decide to use LCD cleaner, check carefully on the back. Many are simply alcohol (BAD!!!).

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

On my iBook G4 I take a paper towel and some tap water, get the paper towel wet, squeeze the water out of the paper towel (over the sink, not the iBook!) and then wipe the screen off. Then I take another paper towel and dry it off. Works wonderfully.