cleaning...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by krossfyter, Jul 1, 2002.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

okay...i really need to clean out my tibook...you know digitaly (not physicaly with windex or whatever).....its gotten a little slower in the past couple of weeks... however i dont have norton or cleaner 5 or whatever software...just the puter and i. what can i do?
    i know on the pc....you use frament disk or sytem tools to help you...what do i use on the mac? anyone got a link to some freeware that cleans up some crude? if so post it...i would to use it. also it must be compatible with os x or whatever. thanks for the help in advance.

2. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

I woulnt frag

I would not de-frag the disk untill A native Disk Util comes out for OS X. TechTools is my favoret but its still only 9.2.2 at the moment. Others as well as my self have had problems using OS9 utils to de-frag OS X drives. If you can afford it, I would wipe it clean and repartition the drive so you have a dedicated swap partition and maybe even a dedicated scratch disk if you use apps like Photoshop and Peak often. This will help the cut down on the fragmentation of your disk and increase OS proformance. You can also use a classic de-frager to clean partitions and drives that just have data on them (NO OSX system or apps). I like to have a seperate drive and/or partition for things like large file storage, scratch disks, swap, backup bootable partitions for emergencys, test partitons for beta OS's and other testable stuff. If you want to and you need help partitioning or setting up swap (you have to use the terminal) , I can help you... there is a lot of docmentation on it and I know there has been plenty of talk about it here on this forum.

-evildead

3. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Apple recommends that you update your prebindings, rather than defragging your drive. It's the same process that goes on after an install. It is supposed to make your system faster by predicting certain operations (I'm not clear on this point).
    There are utils that will do this for you, like MOXOptimize (one of the only shareware programs that I have ever paid for).

You can also go through your /System/Library/Extensions folder and throw away extensions like you would in 9. You just have to be root or do a sudo rm -rf command. Just be careful. :)

4. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

okay thanks guys. so there is no freeware cleaning apps for 0sx right now?

5. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

No. The only utility that actually does anything useful is Drive 10, but that sucks. All of the utility programs are still in 9— another reason to keep it around. There are no shareware/freeware apps to date that I know of that do anything in the way of maintence 'cept these that do the prebindings.

6. Choppaface macrumors 65816

Re: cleaning...

is actually for compressing video :D

(used to be called media cleaner)

7. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

i did that pre binding thing. lets see how it works...thanks for the link. oh and sorry about the cleaner 5 incedent. heh. i know i used an app called cleaner something in the past for 0s 9... so i thought that was something like it. dig it.

8. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Depending on your comfort level with the guts of OSX, there are some things you can do.

First of all, turn of daemons you aren't using. If you don't use ssh, apache, etc, turn them off.

Second, you can manually remove languages, printers, video card drivers, and other system related items you don't need.

This will add a hint of speed, and some space.

Carefully check your login items. Remove anything which you do not want to startup explicitly. Look for legacy processes via top or ps -ax. Fruit Menu leaves a stain long after you delete it, as do many other programs. Kill/delete as necessary, but with care. If you don't know what it is, don't delete it!

After these steps are completed, analyze what may be bogging things down (in OSX it is not likely to de your disk). Boot verbose (cmd-v at startup), and watch what the computer is telling you...are you loading Airport without an Airport card? Are you using AppleTalk services but not sharing via AppleTalk?

Also, an fsck -y can clear up some odd slowdowns. When OSX has disk problems, it usually involves B-Tree counts, or orphaned nodes. Booting in single user mode (cmd-s at startup), and running fsck -y can reslove these issues. The OS will plod through most of them without faltering, so if you have slowdowns, this may help.

For the record:
    fsck is a disk repair program. It is native to, and a part of, the OS. It will repair many problems. It is safe (it will not create any new problems). Optimizing drives under OSX is not going to yeild the benefits seen under 9. Why is there no Norton for Solaris/Linux/IRIX? Using 9 utilities on an OSX drive should be done as a last resort (not as a preventative measure). If you must using an OS9 utility, start with DiskWarrior.

9. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

What about the fragging streak a mile wide that X leaves? If you check your X drive with Speed Disk, it looks positively awful. I don't see how defragging a drive could do anything negative.