Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcin0903

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2009
Hi, Yesterday I wanted to delete from my desktop some useless for me files like some ipsw files downloaded earlier, pwnage tool, but when I wanted to trash those ones, CleanMyMac asked if I'd like to uninstall pwnagetool, I marked yes, because I thought that there may be some register files, than trashed the rest of files (cleared trash) and after rebooting my Mac seems to be formated, I mean whole settings, iLifes libraries disappeared, settings were zeroed but apps and data in Documents and Downloaded were the same. (I am almost sure that the problem was in deleting files with CleanMyMac), anyway at first I thought that was a glitch, recovered time machine backup and did the same, than restarted Mac - the same, now I am 100% sure about that, but I have to waiting another 6h with my very fast WD MyBook - because that time is required to wait with it if you want to recover 120GB, I wish I had TimeCapsule... ;(

So, finishing my question is, is it possible, that CMM deleted that kind of files?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Suggestion:

This won't help you get the files back, but I would like to offer some backup advice.

First get a backup drive, and then learn how to use it regularly.

Don't use Time Machine.

Instead, use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper. CCC is absolutely free.

Either one will produce a BOOTABLE CLONE of your main drive. Something that's "right there" for a moment of extreme need.

Then, do an "incremental backup" at least once a week. Twice is better. Three times is better than twice.

If you have a WD "Mybook" that has the WD "CD Tools" on it, DISABLE password login, this prevents you from starting up from the external drive in an emergency.

Best to download the application (available at the WD website) that DISABLES the CD tools sofware completely. Best to keep the thing as a "dumb drive" and use CCC instead.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
Suggestion:

This won't help you get the files back, but I would like to offer some backup advice.

First get a backup drive, and then learn how to use it regularly.

Don't use Time Machine.

Instead, use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper. CCC is absolutely free.

Either one will produce a BOOTABLE CLONE of your main drive. Something that's "right there" for a moment of extreme need.

Then, do an "incremental backup" at least once a week. Twice is better. Three times is better than twice.
Is every hour even better then? I wonder what would do that?
:D
Of course, a bootable clone is excellent as well, and its not either / or, you can actually do both.

Greka

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
CleanMyMac Support

Hi!
I work at MacPaw support (CleanMyMac is our app) and the problem you describe here sounds very strange. Are you sure you did not use the actual 'Uninstall Applications' module?
CleanMyMac cannot remove any of your apps if you just run an ordinary cleanup scan.

By the way, CleanMyMac should only 'ask' similar questions if you use the uninstaller, not just clean your Mac.

Please respond at your soonest convenience to greka@macpaw.com

Fragilebattlesh

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2010
I just had a similar issue, I just used cleanmymac, and now it's forgotton everything about all the apps. The applications are still there but any settings etc are lost.

For example I opened Firefox and it was as if I'd just installed it, asking if I want to import from Safari, forgetting all my bookmarks and history etc.
Photoshop and Illustrator are now asking for a reinstall due to files being missing. (dreamweaver seems to be the only one in the suite still working) Ableton Live is back to a fresh install forgetting all my settings. I havn't tried any other software yet.

I have no clue what to do now, replacing all this is one hell of a job. I'm ****ing pissed.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I'm just glad I do cleanup on my own instead of using programs that go way overboard in cleaning up stuff. I wouldn't touch CleanMyMac with a 100 foot pole; there are too many things it can do that it shouldn't.

Fragilebattlesh

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2010
I'm just glad I do cleanup on my own instead of using programs that go way overboard in cleaning up stuff. I wouldn't touch CleanMyMac with a 100 foot pole; there are too many things it can do that it shouldn't.

Yeah I won't be using it anymore, it had been doing a good job till now.

So far I've only managed to restore Ableton. I should be able to restore Adobe suite thanks to a year old backup. But anything recent is lost, like firefox data.

dubstar

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
what all do you do to cleanup yourself?

How do you know what all to delete and to leave?

obviously I know how to delete files/documents and uninstall apps...

amadeusamadeus

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2010
I too would be curious to know of any systematic methods you guys use to clean your macs without a program. I was just about to get CMM but after reading this I think I will hang off.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I too would be curious to know of any systematic methods you guys use to clean your macs without a program. I was just about to get CMM but after reading this I think I will hang off.

There's really not anything you need to do on a regular basis to "clean" your Mac. Mac OS X takes care of itself pretty well without the user having to "maintain" the system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.