clear channel claims its concerts "constitute essential governmental purposes."

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jul 25, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wow... major hubris by CC. 'Soverign Immunity'? Come on... you're a for-profit company, privately held, and not subject to being unelected. Take a hike. And quit ****ing up the music industry.

That's what I'd say if I was the judge.

3. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

I don't see how CC didn't anticipate prblems like this before they built the Amphitheatre. There are homes literally right across the street from the thing. Don't get me wrong, I love music, and I love the Ford Amphitheatre, but CC is clearly are in the wrong here. Now, there's not much anybody can do about it, because you can't just move a stadium across town. When this all started a few years ago, there were enough complaints for them to realize that this would be a problem that wouldn't go away. I couldn't believe that they actually went through with the building project with no consideration for the surrounding developments, even after the people complained before the construction was ever started.

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Boo on Clear Channel. My boyfriend and I boycott their stations-- go Infinity!!! Yay for Live105 (if you're in CA- bay area)!

5. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

The problem here is that CC dominates the market, and there's just flat-out no other stations to listen to. CC owns the only sports station, the best (only) news station, the only two stations that carry Buccaneers games, the only station that carries Devil Rays games, they have the only station that carries Lightning games. Other than having one of the biggest oldies stations, Infinity doesn't really have any firepower on music stations either.

I don't listen to the radio for music, that's what my iPod's for. ;)

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Understandable views... but you know, Satellite radio is quickly making AM/FM a thing of the past. Go Sirius! Ok, so my car is capable of sirius stock, but I still haven't convinced myself that I really want to pay extra money for satellite-- but you do get plenty of sports 24/7 and soon, very soon, you will get 3 channels of Howard Stern in all his perverted geekdom glory!

7. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Right. The biggest drawbacks for satellite radio are the need for extra hardware (which is quickly becoming a non-factor) and the fee. I'm sure that as satellite radio keeps growing, it will make AM/FM a thing of the past. So many of the AM/FM stations have already started broadcasting on satellite radio, which will make the transition that much easier.

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

Well, if you consider "essential governmental purposes" to include distracting the public from the real issues at hand, then those concerts may qualify. :rolleyes:

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

CC also owns many of the larger venues around the country. If you don't play by the CC rules you don't get to play a lot of towns.

They're bad for music all around. They stifle creativity for marketable hits. I don't remember where I saw it, but one article I read stated that 2% of music releases account for some 80% of music sales. That means there's a whole lot of undiscovered music out there folks! Get to your indie music stores and radio stations and support them.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Can't wait for Wal-Mart to try this, if they win. :rolleyes:

Since the essential govt. purpose of delivering goods to the public at a cheap price, is a little more reasonable than assaulting the public and neighbors with loud noise.

11. emw macrumors G4

emw

I think CC's case is based solely on the fact that the amphitheater is located on government property, so Wal-Mart couldn't pursue the same reasoning, I wouldn't think.

Just companies housed at say airports, etc. Imagine the benefit to airport hotels if they suddenly no longer had to pay taxes, etc. Suddenly plane ticket prices go up due to additional taxes to make up for the shortfall in city/county revenue.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It'll all be solved by control, the govt. isn't in control of the property anymore.

The govt. gets their unique benefits when through owership and control of property.

They do lease property out, and give up control of the land at the same time.

This shifts liability for any dangerous conditions that may arrise on the property from the govt. to the lessee.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Aren't there anti-monopoly laws in this country? Oh yeah, I forgot what year it was. I have a feeling it's only going to get worse before it gets any better. If it gets better.

CC certainly has some nerve, but I guess they're doing this because they think they can win. I hope they're wrong. If they win this, it's a slippery slope down.

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

As a former CC employee (they were a parent company of a company I worked for) I 1. loathe the company probably more than anyone here and 2. never realized how H-U-G-E CC was until I started working for them. Not just radio stations, and venues, but print advertising, sports promotions, and event production event. The scope and reach of CC is massive compared to what I thought it was before I started working there.

I'm not surprised by what they are doing at all. Give them a millimeter and they will take it a light year.

Not to hijack the thread, but in all fairness the clusterf##k that is conglomerate media ownership in the US today can be traced back to deregulation in the TCOM Act of 1996. The best we can do now is damage control 'cause, honestly, I don't think we have any chance of getting that regulation genie back in the bottle.

Lethal

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Didn't say it was all the fault of this administration/Congress, just that they ain't helping. It's been getting progressively worse for awhile, and I only see it going downhill from there.