Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
I just downloaded Clear Dock today. I tried to paly around with the program. It seems that the desktop background in the lower third of my screen is darker. When I pull a window down to the Dock then it appears clear. Otherwise it still looks a bluish gray. Is this normal?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by virividox
could you post a screenshot?

Don't laugh too hard, but how do I post a screenshot from Panther? I need simple step by step directions, please. Thank you! ;)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
From Apple Help:

1. Open Grab (located in Applications/Utilities).
2. Choose Capture > Screen.
3. When the Screen Grab dialog opens, click outside that window.

Grab captures the screen within a few seconds. A new window appears with an image of your entire screen.

I'm not sure if it will be small enough to attach to a post. If it is too big, I have a few ideas. Try it!

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
I followed your directions. I ended up with a smaller window, picture of the bottom third of the screen. I went to Library, Image Capture, Devices, & Epson Scanner. Let's see what I got?

It was too large to upload, Untitled 1.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Here, for use by any forum member, are five general tips to solve the problem of a too-large image that you want to attach to a post. Remember that the magic number is 102,400. You want a file no larger than 102,400 bytes because that's the forum's maximum acceptable attachment size. Use Get Info in the Finder to check a file's size.

1. If you want to attach an image that shows more than necessary (such as a screenshot where only part of the screen is of interest, or a photo that is not cropped to the portion of interest), import it into iPhoto (or another image editor), crop it, and Save or Export the result.

2. To capture a portion of the screen, press Shift-Command-4. The cursor will change to a bullseye. Use it to drag a rectangle anywhere on the screen. You'll get a file named Picture n.pdf (where n is the next available integer). Double-click it to open it in the Preview application and then use File->Export to save it as a JPEG or PNG file.

3. To make an image smaller, you can open it in Preview, use the File->Export menu choice to save it in JPEG or PNG format, but set options to make it smaller by clicking the Options... button before you click Save. You can experiment with the format and options to find a small-enough result that still looks nice:

3a. For JPEG, you can pick Least or Low quality to make a smaller file. (The Target size feature would be perfect if it worked, but it rarely works for me.)

3b. For PNG, you can set the Depth to 256 colors, but you'll have to make sure it still looks good enough afterwards. If it is a cartoon-style graphic, it'll probably be OK. If it is a photograph, it'll probably won't be OK.

For each JPEG or PNG file you create, re-open it in Preview to see if it still looks OK.

4. You can use iPhoto to scale an image. Import the image into iPhoto, select it, and choose File->Export File. In the Export Photos dialog box, select the File Export section at the top, select JPG or PNG as the Format, and use the "Scale images no larger than" radio button to pick a width or height smaller than the full image. This will scale the image. Making the height or width 1/2 as big will make the image file 1/4 as big, so you may not have to scale it a lot. By experimenting, you can find the scaling factor that gets you down to the file size limit.

Note that JPEG and JPG mean the same thing. The real name of the format is JPEG, but many programs (including iPhoto) call it JPG because people are so used to using three-letter extensions, a holdover from older operating systems.

If you have another image-manipulation program (e.g., Photoshop or software that came with your scanner or camera) , you can use it to scale images too.

5. The last resort: If you have access to a web server (like your own .mac site or a friend who won't mind posting the image for you), then instead of attaching the image to a MacRumors post, post it somewhere on the Internet and put its URL inside [ IMG ] ... [ / IMG ] tags in your post.

Now, how do these tips apply to your case, wdlove? I expect that tips 2 and 3a apply to your situation. It sounds like you don't really need to capture the whole screen to show us the problem you are describing. If the dock is at the bottom of your screen (I forgot to ask about this) and you see an odd color change in the bottom 1/3 of the screen, then you could show us the problem if you capture a thin-to-medium vertical strip from the top to bottom of the screen. In other words, it doesn't need to be the whole width of the screen to show us the problem. If it was, say, 20% of the screen width instead of 100%, it'll be that much smaller. If it's still too big, use tip 3a. If that doesn't work, use tip 4.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Right. That's tip #2 above.

Here is a summary of screenshot shortcuts:
  • Whole screen: shift-command-3.
  • Part of the screen: shift-command-4, then drag to select the area.
  • One window, the menu bar, or the Dock: shift-command-4, then the space bar. Move the camera icon over the area you want, then click.
  • An open menu: click to open the menu, then shift-command-4, then the space bar, then click the menu.
To copy the image to the clipboard rather than creating a PDF file, hold down the control key while doing the other keypresses.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
I have given it a try, by following your directions Doctor Q. Thank you.

I shut down my G4 last evening. When I booted up this afternoon I got this message. Just downloaded the program from the sit yesterday and installed. It said compatible with Panther. So this could be part of my problem, help.

Application Enhancer Modules Disabled

/Users/wdlove/Library/Application Enhancers/ClearDock.ape

To re-enable any of them, either launch System Preferences and open the APE Manager Preference Pane and enable (check) the needed ones, or drag the appropriate module from the Application Enhancers (disabled) to the Application Enhancers folder and log out and back into Mac OS X. Please be advised that some modules may be not compatible with Mac OS X 10.3 Panther - please visit http://www.unsanity.com/to download updated versions that are assured to be compatible with Panther. Thank you!

Wow Doctor Q, Im shocked. ;)

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 96

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Don't worry about that message. It is normal after installing APE modules. Unsanity just wants to make sure the modules installed are compatible with Panther before activating them. Just log out and reloggin, everything should be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.