Clear Dry Erase

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by zap2, Apr 9, 2006.

1. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'm looking for a Dry Erase Board aka "White Board" but i want one that is clear:rolleyes: I'll be using this to help work out Math Problems, so i a pretty big one but not huge.

Anyone know of any places that sells these online?

2. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Do you mean dry erase like to use with dry erase markers?
    Or would the visa-vis pens on glass or plexi-glass work for you?

3. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Yeah, I think glass or plexi is probably your best bet. You have to be careful with plexi, though, because it scratches pretty easily.

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

5. zap2 thread starter macrumors 604

zap2

More information on this idea please? I like how it sounds but again i'm 100% sure.

The type of Board i'm talking about is like the ones the use on TV shows to look "fancy" they use it in House (sometimes) and Numb3rs (Sometimes)

6. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Glass would definitely work for dry erase...acrylic and plexiglass sometimes 'take' to the dry erase markers and don't erase properly.

You do realize, however, that having it be see-through will only make it hard to see...on the opposite side of the glass everything will be a mirror image and essentially impossible to read...

8. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

large laminate works well. You can even choice to select which color paper background or leave it empty before you heat it up. it has to be the thick them so it won't bend. this is a pretty decent option in a classroom setting. it is big and cheap, and you don't care if the marker doesn't come off.

9. DrStrangelove macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

It'll be cooler when they make the movie of his life.

Ala BRILLIANT MIND.

10. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Yeah, but with all the poetic license they take in those things, he could get a regular dry erase board and then could just replace it with a glass one for the film.

11. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I used to take a lot of notes on my window in halls last year, it all wiped straight off.

12. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Just buy some plexy glass, make a frame and use that. You can probably buy it at a hardware store or home improvement store. Or perhaps try to find a glass topped table at a tag sale or something and buy it cheap. Take the glass from that, make a frame, and there you go. Perhaps even look at one of those second hand/overstocked places that sells building materials for cheep for glass or a window. I dunno, be creative.

Visa-Vis pens I believe are the kind that teachers use on overhead projectors (haha remember those). They are like dry-erase markers but they don't erase without water and they come in like 200 different colors.

13. Cargo8 macrumors newbie

that link above to Dormbuys is perfect, almost. I am also looking for a clear dry erase. I'm guessing that glass is the material of choice, although plexiglass could work (but someone said they scratch easy?:confused:that wouldn't be good...) the thing with the dormbuys thing is that its like 1 ft x 1ft. I dont know about original poster, but I'm looking for something to stand up, good sized for math/science formulas...
    anyone know the brand of the board used in House MD season one? thats pretty much exactly what i want, but i cant seem to find it anywhere online...:mad:

14. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Do you have an Ikea nearby?
    they have these great frameless poster/painting mounts that are essentially a 24" x 36" piece of glass with solid back held on by four clips - to hold the poster/print smooth BUT you can use the glass by itself and hang it up where ever you wish

15. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

this may help

I use them in my classroom all the time, to me the bigger the better. The one I'm using this week (to teach subnetting) is around 6' wide and 4' high but never seems big enough for all those 1 and 0.

16. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

We have these in the lab...we have framed pieces of glass that we write on with sharpies. The sharpie comes right off with acetone (which, being chemists, we have tons of). We bought one of those 36 color marker sets and are much more organized now.

Probably not a good idea for a space that isn't well ventilated though, as the acetone does have a pretty noxious smell.

17. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

Just take a very large piece of laminate paper and put some sticks on it to make it stand.

18. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Unless you've somehow time warped to sometime after november 2009, the last post is less than a year old.

Didn't realize I was dredging up a thread.

19. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

20. The fluke macrumors newbie

The solution!

http://www.dormbuys.com/shop/product/5638

This thing is huge & it can go anywhere.

I'd say forget the clear idea and go w/ this as it is cheap and gives you tons of space.... i really think dry-erase 'boards' won't exist in the future, well they might but they won't be as popular as these.

-the fluke-

21. descartes macrumors 6502

22. dilbert4life macrumors regular

dilbert4life

23. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

Thats what she said