Clear ipod touch information

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by digiphantom, Jan 3, 2009.

1. macrumors member

Hi,

I'm getting ready to sell my ipod touch to a friend, but when I did a restore, I realized that it didn't clear all my personal info (e-mail, itunes account, etc...).

What other steps do I need to take so that I can fully clear the present information?

Thanks.

2. macrumors 6502a

Delete your iTunes backup information as it 'restores' the backup after a reset. After deleting the backup, perform another 'restore' and it should return to factory defaults.

If in doubt, create a temporary user account and use a fresh iTunes install.

3. macrumors newbie

I think I have a similar problem. Since I already have an iPhone, I gave my iPod touch to a visiting cousin. I did a restore before I handed it over to the cousin. I had forgotten iTunes kept a copy of the iPod touch backup.

Unfortunately, my cousin later called me from the airport that my e-mail address is still on and that the so store is linked to my account.

Can my cousin simply just do a restore on his home computer with iTunes or does it need to be sent back to me? I use OSX and he has a windows machine, I don't think the touches have is compatibility problems.

P.s make sure you change your email pass as a precaution

4. macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Not necessarily, after you reset/restore, iTunes asks if you want to restore it from a backup, it doesn't do it automatically.

5. macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

probably the simplest way to do it if you ask me.

6. macrumors 601

You don't want to clear the data when you sell it; you want to wipe it. That means writing over the data on the disk. Restoring it leaves that data behind but it isn't easily accessible.

Settings / General / Reset / Erase all content and settings

That's what you want.

7. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the advice.

8. macrumors newbie

If you wanna change the itunes account that is default for the ipod touch you can plug the ipod into a computer,open itunes go to the store ans log out of the account and log in to the account you want tobe default on the ipod then sync it. That should work

9. macrumors newbie

Alright, so I jailbroke my iPod and a week later as it was trying to restart my springboard, it froze, so I tried resetting it but all that appeared was the apple symbol and it hasn't gone away.. I was wondering what i could do to fix it.

Thanks

10. macrumors newbie

hdft

ILOVEYOU! Thanks you saved my life! ha