Clear Plasic or Aluminum Display- Which is Better?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by alexf, May 12, 2005.

1. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

I am considering getting a new display (either 20" or 23") and was wondering whether the new aluminum displays really have any advantages over the older clear plastic displays (which I could get used for a lot cheaper, and which I also personally think are prettier, though not as versatile).

Also, I am a bit put off from getting an aluminum display after reading this disturbing forum on the Apple support site: http://discussions.info.apple.com/.6895fe3e.68992154/311

Any comments? What is the difference in image quality / brightness between the older and newer displays?

2. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

I would always try and go with the newer model do to its life. And speaking as an owner of a cinema 20" (metal kind), I LOVE IT! :D

3. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

That's really disturbing... I was looking into getting a 23" to replace my plastic edged 20", but now I have no qualms in keeping it until the next display update. I can't believe apple would release such inconsistent products... With displays and color accuracy being such a big part of a mac user's experience, you'd think this would have been ironed out.

Nonetheless, my 20" is great. I've never been able to compare it to the aluminum 20", however. I'd recommend it, especially at the prices you can find them for these days. The LCD itself is great quality, and certainly isn't going to become outdated any time soon.

4. Quark macrumors regular

Compare Prices & Specs of the Formac

Before you buy, I highly recommend comparing the price and specs of the Formac Gallery Xtreme 2010 and the Formac Gallery Xtreme 1900.

I have had the 2010 for well over a year and I have not seen any display come close to the quality of this one -- anywhere, period.

Of note are the following items: resolution, brightness, pixel response time and price.

www.formac.com

Take Care,
    Quark

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I would rather have the newer technology. At least purchasing new, you get a one year warranty. With regards to the 23" more people with complaints post than those that have a perfect display. Your decision would be more of personal preference.

6. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

Thanks for the advice. Do you know if the technology is actually better in the new displays (as opposed to the last incarnation of the plastic ones)?

7. wide macrumors 6502a

From my understanding, all of the complaints about the new displays are because the display is simply too good (and accurate) for people's eyes. People are used to the way their old displays showed images, and when they see something new it shocks them. This shock has lead many customers to complain, when, in actuality, these new displays show colors the way they are meant to be displayed. So if you don't like them, you're crazy :D

8. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Yeah there were comparisons done at mac360 and it showed that the display showed colors more on par of what they really are rather than other screens that make colors brigher and more vivid to appease an audiance rather than give a more accuarte display. But really its a matter of preference and you can addjust it if you wanted.

9. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

No, I don't think you looked at the forum on the Apple site that I referenced. The complaints are not about colors not being accurate, but rather about obvious shifts around the edges.

10. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Yes, that thread does seem worrying.
    Think I will hold off the 23" for now, like i can afford it! :D

11. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

The newer displays are more versatile because you don't need a DVI->ADC cable if you ever want to connect it to another computer such as a PowerBook or Mac Mini. That adapter alone cost $99. You also get the firewire and USB 2.0 hubs built-in instead of the USB 1.1 hub in the plastic displays. I would definitely go with the new aluminums because if you have any problems, you can always get it replaced for free.

12. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

Yes, I know that they are more versatile, but the question is: it the image quality really any better? Are they brighter than the old displays?