Clear temporary files?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sweener88, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Sweener88 macrumors 6502

Sweener88

Is there any weekly maintenance like clearing temporary internet files i need to do? I'm used to windows and new to macs, thanks guys!

2. mdickson macrumors regular

I'm also fairly new to OSX so I'm no expert, but I think that OSX does the "disk cleanup" and "disk defrag" automatically when needed

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

mdickson is right. :)

If you sleep your machine as opposed to shut it down each night, then OSX will also handle all the periodical maintenance tasks for you such as clearing out temporary files and logs. OSX also defrags files under 25MB (or 20MB, I always forget) as you go. :)

4. Sweener88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sweener88

5. speakeasycomm macrumors newbie

Scratch File

I am relatively new to using a MAC. This past week I was working with some very large files. Last night, I went to convert a typical image to a lower resolution image so I could put it on a website, and my photoshop wouldn't save it. I got an error message that my scratch file was full. I did some checking, but can't figure out how to delete or change my scratch file so photoshop will work again. Anybody have any suggestions for me? I need to get this website I'm working on done today, but can't figure out how to get photoshop back up and running. Thanks. :confused: