clearing plist (safari & Mail)??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by donniedarko, Apr 23, 2005.

1. donniedarko macrumors regular

I try to keep my cache cleared out... However despite clearing and even resetting the cache I still have websites that are still be prompted... Could anyone help?

Secondly in Mail I would like to clear out email addresses as well... Is there a plist to erase or manage?

Thanks
    D

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hi Donnie, what do you mean when you say that you have "websites that are still be prompted?" Do you mean that you are automatically logged in under accounts or something like this? Have you deleted *cookies* (different from the cache)? Try the option labeled "Reset Safari" in the Safari menu.

EDIT: Also, for mail, I have *no* idea.... :( I can tell you that it doesn't appear to be in either of the mail plist files. Its possible it's in one of the files in ~/Library/Mail aside from the mailboxes.

3. donniedarko thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks MK-
    I have 'reset' Safari already but for instance a website for east wood car products comes up. the info doc page for apple always comes up....etc, etc...

As for the Mail deaal I just have so many email addresses come up now it woul be ideal to manage the cache of email addresses...

anyone else care to help??
    thanks
    D

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do you mean that these web pages pop up suddenly while you are surfing to other sites? If this is the case, is the pop-up-blocker turned on (Safari menu)? Or, do you mean that when you start typing a link into the address bar, that it auto-completes to these old websites that you had been to, and you don't want it to do that anymore? Or do you mean that they come up as the start page when you open Safari? :confused:

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The email addresses are probably being stored in your Address Book or it's cache.

6. donniedarko thread starter macrumors regular

That correct.... it is the auto complete of websites, as it does also in mail.
    Despite clearing caches I still have old websites and email addresses coming up in each respective app-

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm, interesting. You're right, clearing history has little effect on auto-complete. I found a thread on this elsewhere -- the solution is deleting ~/Library/Safari/History.plist -- but you will still get autocompletes that can be made based on any bookmark you have (unless you delete all of them). If you don't want autocomplete, the trick is, when Safari re-opens, and creates a new History.plist, you change its permissions so it can't be written to. Much like the way you turn off the caching of favicons.

8. donniedarko thread starter macrumors regular

9. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....if you want to clear some old addresses out of Mail, from the "window" menu choose "previous recipients" and you'll see a list of stored/cached email addresses....you can delete the ones you wish to from there....oh yeah!

10. donniedarko thread starter macrumors regular

11. pcproff macrumors member

pcproff

how about for safari same fix as that(if possible)

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That was for Safari. What do you mean? :confused: