Clearing the Air.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mischief, Feb 18, 2005.

1. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Good article on my local Public Radio Station. Mr. Harry Frankfurt, a professor of philosophy at Princeton University has written a book called "On Bull****." in which he asserts that the prevalence of misleading "op/ed" style data has perverted both the American culture and it's media.

Link to his essential dissertation: http://www.jelks.nu/misc/articles/bs.html

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I wouldn't argue with Frankfurt's conclusion.

Minor stuff: I grew up with the view of the word "humbug" as applicable to the old-time snake-oil salesmen. Not all that harmful, but they knew full well that what they were peddling wasn't real.

To me, "BS" is hard to capture via any print dictionary. The meaning varies with the user's mood of the moment. Facial expression, tone of voice--these vary with the degree of disbelief, as well as the responder's opinion of the intent of the first speaker.

"...a retreat from the discipline required by dedication to the ideal of correctness to a quite different sort of discipline, which is imposed by pursuit of an alternative ideal of sincerity."

Which is part of why I came up with, "Sincerity does not create truth." :)

'Rat