'Clerks' Sequel

Discussion in 'Community' started by keysersoze, Aug 30, 2004.

1. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I swear, I am the only person on the planet that didn't think Clerks was very good.

3. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I thought it was great. And it only took $27,000 to make which is pretty impressive.

4. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

It was alright, but definitely not as good as Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma, or Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back.

5. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I thought Mallrats and Dogma were okay.

Chasing Amy was just boring, Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back was just downright stupid. J&SB are good in small doses.

6. Stewie macrumors 6502

Stewie

Clerks was great. Mall Rats was pretty good, but then things started to slide a little bit, until they reached bottom with Jay & Silent Bob Stike Back.

7. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

37?!?

:D

8. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

How can you people not like chasing amy? its probably kevin smith's best work. yea, sure, dogma and mallrats were funny (mallrats is probably my favorite of the jersey chronicles), but chasing amy was a much deeper movie than smith's other films, rivaled only by clerks, probably.

9. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I thought it was okay. I think its a good movie to show people who lack the ability of introspection and live the life of the main character.

Its odd to watch a guy who could have a lot, or at least something, knowingly make a train wreck of his own life by not deciding to do the right thing.

On the upside it added snowball to my vocabulary. If you can call that an upside.

10. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Yet another clue that Kevin Smith is completely out of original ideas. :rolleyes:

Ready.... set.... coast!

11. James L macrumors 6502a

Clerks is a classic, and it was Clerks that got him a three film deal to make the films mentioned above.

Having said that, I am dubious about a sequel. Sometimes a classic should be left alone!

:D

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, I saw this posted on a movie website the other day. Thought it was a joke at first. Clerks 2: Passion of the Clerks!?! Yeah... that's what I thought. Clerks was good, for what it was. Mallrats was bad because he totally sold out his original idea. Like Desperado was to El Mariachi. Chasing Amy was great, if you like that sort of thing, which I do. I loved Dogma, but if you've only seen the edited version, you haven't seen Dogma. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back was stupid, but funny, and that was the point. I thought it was funny. Jersey Girl was ok, again if you like that sort of thing.

The cartoon Clerks was stupid, but like a car accident, you can't help but watch even if it disgusts you. That's what happens when the network execs give you notes and you actually listen to them (even if it's just to piss them off by how much it sucks).

I read that Daredevil comic he did. It was pretty good. I kinda wished they had gone with his script for the movie. I think he's a pretty good writer, he should just leave the directing to someone else sometimes.

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Seriously. A rocket launcher. In a guitar case. And it had to be fired from the silliest looking stance they could come up with. That movie had 2 saving graces. And they're both attached to Selma Hayek.

14. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

On a whim, I picked up that Daredevil run when it first hit the shelves. I had no idea who wrote it at the time. I sold v.2 1-14 on eBay for a pretty penny.

15. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Damn, you beat me to it. He already made a friggin cartoon out of clerks and the ****** vowed to retire his whole "view askew" universe and all it's inept characters, guess it was too hard for him to do anything else.

16. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

IN A ROW?!

Best moment of that movie. :D

It's amazing how some people think it's great, some ok, and some stupid.

I dare anyone here to make a "great" movie for $27,000. ;)

17. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

did anyone read the run he did on green arrow?
    that was the one thing that got me back into the habit of buying comics (for a while anyway)

18. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

Haven't seen Clerks, but I liked the extremely-short-lived TV show based on it.
    Now, a sequel to Dogma would be something to really talk about. ;)

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think Dogma was the worst of them all. Mallrats was nothing to write home about. J&SB was dumb as hell -- so dumb it was funny. Clerks was.....well, it wasn't bad. :p

I heard Chasing Amy wasn't good, so I didn't bother watching it.

20. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

If the Clerks cartoon was on a cable network like Comedy Central it could have had potential. ABC killed it by imposing too many restrictions of what they could get away with (watch the DVDs of the series with commentary. It explains a lot.)

Im excited to see what Kevin Smith has up his sleeves for this one. It should be interesting provided they do it right with little to no creative restrictions.

21. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

I wasn't to impressed with Clerks, but then I did miss out on it when it first came out. Not to mention it was the last K S movie I saw besides jersey girl which I still haven't seen. It took a few times of watching it to appreciate it and I guess I'm just spoiled but I couldn't stand the black and white. :\

Personally I liked Chasing Amy best, I just have a thing for lesbians. :]

The absolute best thing from K S is "An Evening with Kevin Smith" which was a q&a tour of universities, haven't laughed that much in ages.

But yeah, I'm looking forward to Clerks 2.

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I thought J&SB was the last of these movies with the occuring characters and such? I thought that was the finisher. I thought KS was going to go out and make movies that were different from his usual from now on, maybe make a few regular movies to be more well rounded.

23. TMay macrumors 68000

not that it is any of my business...

...but I thought Kevin had the goods on a Fletch update.

24. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hmm i've only seen "dogma" and "clerks" and i really liked both

i'll think i have to get dogma on a dvd....all those small(and bigger) hints at religion were just priceless

25. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

just by coincidence im watching clerks right now