Click and drag problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BasilFawlty, Mar 17, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Ok, I'm still rather new to iMacs, but I have a weird problem that may just be that I don't understand how iMacs work. Say I have two finder windows open and I want to click and drag files from one finder window/directory to another finder window/directory. On a PC, I would just left-click the file and drag and drop it to the desired location. But on my iMac (with Magic Mouse) when I click the file and try to drag, the files doesn't drag. I have to click the file a second time to get it to grab the file for dragging. I can never seem to grab the file on the first click. Is this some setting somewhere or am I doing something wrong? It's not a huge deal, but it is somewhat frustrating.

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

When you're switching between windows, the first click makes the non-active window active. The 2nd click selects the file. If the window is already active, it won't take 2 clicks.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Even when I am sure the window with the file I want is the active window, when I click a file or folder, the file for folder highlights as it should, but when I try to drag it while holding the mouse button down, it just doesn't drag the first time. I have to release the mouse key and go back and re-click the file a second time in order to drag it.

4. simsaladimbamba, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012

simsaladimbamba

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Well those videos look like I thought it should work but doesn't on my iMac. I'm wondering if the Magic Mouse setup has something to do with it?

6. simsaladimbamba

Do you have any other mouse to test?
    Does it also happen in another, even temporarily created, user account?